Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regarding skew vs latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkatramanan

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i c't understand following details.ple any one explin me how its affect timing.?

Both clock skew and clock latency affect the setup time and hold time of a register in a similar manner.

A clock skew of say 500ps means:
- The clock transitions from 0 to 1 at time 0
- The clock waveform would show a ramp starting from 0v at time = 0 to VDD at time = 500ps
- Assume that the register registers a data when the clock voltage = vdd/2.
- For this clock, the data would be registered in only at time = 250ps.

A clock latency of say 250ps means:
- The clock transitions from 0 to 1 at time 250ps
- The clock waveform would show a step at 250 ps.
- Assume that the register registers a data when the clock voltage = vdd/2.
- For this clock, the data would be registered in only at time = 250ps.

Setup for the regiser increases by 250ps. ( Logic delay of 250ps more can be put on the Data before the reg)
Hold for the register decreases by 250ps. ( Atleast 250ps of logic must exist between this register and the one previous to it if the data driven from the previous reg is to be registered into this reg ONLY IN THE NEXT CYCLE).

Hi Venkatramanan,

I just wanted to know the source of this.. and in what reference it was written. What ever is written is right but in some specif case.. So please help me to understand first the souce and if ther e is any associated diagram

hi
actually i search how uncertainty ll affect timing.so i got this details from vlsibank.com.i c't understand above statement.otherwise can u tell me any other reason is there.how clock uncertainity will affect timing after CTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back