Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtailor

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all. I am new to this microconroller. I am more in to the hardware side. Not much to do with microcontrollers. The only thing I want to know is which one should I start with PIC or Arduino? I am begginer in coding too. What is the easy to learn C++ or ASM? Please any input will be appriciated. I would like to start with blinking LED and see how that go.

if you are beginner then my suggestion is to start with 8051 controller, then go for the PIC and so on
start to write the codes in C language

You can start by PIC16F84A. It's easy and with small package (18-pins).
Also, you can use MikroC compiler, it's free and contains many built in libraries as well as sample projects.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

As you can see from this and many other forums the Pic chips are very well supported, its more a case of what is easier to buy in your area.

Have a look at this Starter thread which will give you some good advice.
Newcomers, please read! (PIC regarded) Upd. 0xD
The only comment I would make is that its section on programmers is a bit out of date - the Microchip Pickit2 or Pickit3 are the ones to buy.

If you start with Assembler it does give you a better understanding of the chips functions though you may move onto C long term.

A good practical assembler tutorial is here- the author is still contactable.
Nigel's PIC Tutorial Page

Also, you can use MikroC compiler, it's free and contains many built in libraries as well as sample projects.

Hope this helps.

Th 16f84A is now outdated, whilst it is still available I would suggest 16f628A, which is also cheaper.

The guide WP100 talks about is also based around the 16F628A.

Last edited:

Quote Originally Posted by seadolphine2000 View Post

Hope this helps.
Th 16f84A is now outdated, whilst it is still available I would suggest 16f628A, which is also cheaper.

The guide WP100 talks about is also based around the 16F628A.

Yes, you are right.

no matter what micro do you use, PIC or AVR, learn ASM, (yes it is hard but you can see how microcontroller works). and then you can use any higher level language (C or pascal)

no matter what micro do you use, PIC or AVR, learn ASM, (yes it is hard but you can see how microcontroller works). and then you can use any higher level language (C or pascal)

I totally agree, start with assembler, you will then gain a better understanding of the microcontroller regardless of type.

I have only used microchip, so I can not comment on others. The nice thing about the 16f84A or 16F628A, (if you use these and there are lots of others), the instruction set is nice and small, only 35 instruction to learn. Learning these then enables you to move to the 18F and above with ease.

Also start with the free software from the manufacturers before spending on more expensive products. Again, Microchip offer a version of 'C',(if you want to go down that route), which is limited by the code size it can produce, this will be good enough to start with as a beginner.

Last edited:

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for your suggestion.

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

Thank you. Ya.. that make sense. The free compiler and contains many built in libraries would be the way to go. Thanks again.

Learning ASM it has the disadvantage that you will have to learn instruction all over again when you change the core of the microcontroller. In this days the level of optimization in compiler it is great. I also start with ASM for Microchip because did not have any compiler but I would not use for big project, it is a waste of time.

Thank you for your help. I went through the newcomers document and it is very helpful. I think I will buy the PIC KIt3 and start my LED blinking....

Status
Not open for further replies.