Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reg: square wave to sine wave converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepika97

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am working on a feedback circuit. I am using a sinusoidal signal to excite a sensor. I need to control the output voltage in the range of 100-200mV. So I am working with an AGC cirucit which is a real complicated one. So I have thought of using a simple diode clamping circuit for this but as it generates a square wave. I need a sine wave to be fed back to the sensor for the excitation again since the square wave gives spurious frequencies. I am operating my circuit around 1K-500KHz. If it would be great if anyone can suggest a simple circuitry with couple of opamps, resistors and capacitors.

Regards,
Deepika

AGC cicuits should not be too complicated, and it very likely best choice for you. Triangle to sine shaping with resistor/diode networks is done in a lot off signal generators, just search for manuals with schematics on the net for example. I think this might be more comlicated than building AGC.

use a low pass filter

the sharper edges of the square wave are due to the higher frequency components...so as you remove them, you get a smoother and smoother waveform.

I don't exactly understand what's your starting point. If you have a sine signal originally, I would use an analog multiplier or a JFET/MOSFET as controllable resistor. If it's a square wave, filters as suggested should help.

As mentioned in both contributions above, filtering the squarewave with a lowpass (or bandpass) is the most direct way to produce "something like a sinewave". The required filter order depends on the desired quality of the sine wave (THD).
However, this method works only for a fixed frequency.

Another - a bit unknown - method uses the classical differential amp (longtailed pair) to convert triangle waves to sine waves. This is in a broad frequency band independent on frequency, however, this method works only for a fixed amplitude.

Example: for an amplitude of 80 mV you get a sine wave with a THD of app. 1.5%.

Disadvantage: The squarewave has to be converted to triangle before (Integration)

Yea - for the most part, there are two main approaches: lowpass or bandpass filtering to remove harmonics, and "shaping" a triangle wave with diodes, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back