Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommended bypass caps for TIU with DDR3 DIMMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizsagzki

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project that requires me to design a test interface board but I am a newbie. I know theoretical calculations for capacitance but I also know I have to consider a lot of things in the actual applications.
The board that I will be designing will test a DDR3 DIMM, hence, a DDR3 DIMM will be socketed on the board using a Johnstec DDR3 socket. My question is, since there are already bypass capacitances on the DIMM, do I still need to mount bypass capacitance on the board (placing them really close to the DIMM's power supplies)? If I do, what capacitance values should I use? What frequency range should I filter?
I looked at several DDR DIMM specs but I haven't found any that states any recommendations on what frequency the on-DIMM bypass caps guaranteed to filter and what frequency range, the user need to filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.