Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend topology and control circuit for switching power supply 0-200W

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What topology would you recommend for switching power supply
- input voltage 230V
- output voltage 2-50V
- output power 0-200W

If appropriate half bridge.
There exist a more modern version TL494?
I have a proposal hlaf bridge power supply experience, so I would welcome a circuit in which the available design software and appnote directly from the manufacturer.
Or where can I find information about design resources with TL494, ideally including a transformer

Thanks you

What topology would you recommend for switching power supply
- input voltage 230V
- output voltage 2-50V
- output power 0-200W

If appropriate half bridge.
There exist a more modern version TL494?
I have a proposal hlaf bridge power supply experience, so I would welcome a circuit in which the available design software and appnote directly from the manufacturer.
Or where can I find information about design resources with TL494, ideally including a transformer

Hi carpenter
I would suggest Forward converter ! it can handle this aim as well and with lower cost in compare with half bridge .
By the way what do you mean by modern version of TL494 ?! there are many of the PWM drivers available to cover many of the design purposes . after you select the specifications of your circuit and also the topology of your SMPS then you can go through your best one .
About where to find something about TL494 you can take a look into the application notes and some of the power supplies which have been designed based on TL494 . and also reading the datasheet will be a good idea !
And about transformers and inductors you can have a look into this link :
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/229615/
( read all of the thread which consists gang of helpful information ! )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi,

Forward topology is the best solution for this high power output requirement.Power MOSFET will also available (reasonable prices) which meets all your specifications.

Thank You,

Regards
Swapna.B

Quite have surprised me.
Flyback was my first choice, I was thinking more about the circuit TOPSwitch JX.
However, based on my ,
- Peak Current on Secondary 9,5A, RMS 5.6A
- Peak voltage on Secondary 200V
I would have to use 160V low impedance capacitors, for example KMX 330uF 160V ripple current 0,7A, It follows 8pcs :!:
This led me to the idea of ​​whether or not to use half bridge.

Thanks for the links.
It is because of a problem with the transformer design I liked the IC PowerIntegration. PI says to design software that will propose the transformer and its manufacturing method.
For example
Peal secondary output ripple 11.64A ,RMS 6.0A
Output capacitor RMS ripple current 4,47A
Valid for ETD39 transformer with a primary winding divided into two winding section
PI.png

Flyback was my first choice, I was thinking more about the circuit TOPSwitch JX.
Hi carpenter
Flybacks are not so good to be variable , ( however it is truly possible to use them as a variable PSU ) but there are some risk factors for them , and besides the risk factor , the out put ripple is too high and it needs larger value of capacitors in parallel together to decrease the ripple and if a flyback converter be without load , it can be harmful for itself . so a flyback would be better to be neglected for this aim .
Either forward or Push pull or half bridge are good for this aim and of course more trustful .
It is because of a problem with the transformer design I liked the IC PowerIntegration
What kind of problem you're referring to ? a transformer in an SMPS is most interesting part ! and if we be honest most simplest part ! if you look into a transformer as a complicated device then the fear won't let you to make progress ! ( problem of the most of the newbies in SMPS design ! )
I saw your schematic . and as i see you mentioned you want a variable PSU . so did you even think about it how to make it variable ? and did you think about the limitations of a flyback converter for such an application ?

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

OK How to make the PSU variable?
It is taken out of context, but the foundation is to see
TL431 is replcet with error amplifer and amplifier compare voltage from resistor divider with voltage from DAC
VPSU.png
Source float against the control electronics
Switching power supply is intended to serve as a source for relatively sophisticated linear degree, all this would then serve as a laboratory PSU.
For an idea of ​​something like this will look linear degree

Linear step

Hi carpenter
OK How to make the PSU variable?
Simply ! you have two choices .
1st one is making the feedback factor , variable , but it is dealing with some risks .
2nd one which is the best one is changing the reference voltage .
there is an auxiliary way if you don't have access to your reference voltage ! using an op amp and a variable voltage and then a comparison in feedback loop .
About the schematic that you've posted :
Change drain and source of Q25 ! source should be connected through the transformer head in down side and drain should be tied to right side of your circuit . ok ?
TL431 is replcet with error amplifer and amplifier compare voltage from resistor divider with voltage from DAC
Why you made it complicated ? it can be done more easier ! why ADC ??!!

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Only in speed.
Q25 is OK. Q25 is de facto rectifier drived by IR1167
Why is driven over DAC so relatively complicated?
As I already said I'm trying to such ultimate laboratory power supply 0-50V 200W.
Well, because all the electronics is another potential source of power than I thought it was a good idea.
Maybe I could even establish something analog, from the perspective of digital feedback control suits me more.
I enclose a diagram of the switching power supply block diagram of a linear part.
View attachment 1368525598.pdf

Q25 is OK. Q25 is de facto rectifier drived by IR1167
Hi
Oops ! yes . sorry , i though the input has been rectified . by a mistake i didn't see that , that is AC !
Why is driven over DAC so relatively complicated?
Because it can be done more easier than that and ADC is not really important there !
As I already said I'm trying to such ultimate laboratory power supply 0-50V 200W.
I already understood what you are attempting to do ! and i know it is very simple to do ! and i know an ADC is not a good part for dealing with an SMPS because you can easily build an SMPS with high precision and of course without any ADC ! ok ?

And now what is your problem ? do you still have any problem ?

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.