Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend me a PIC from 18f series with 2 or 3 UART's on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleborg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

Can anybody recommend a PIC from 18f series with 2 or 3 UART's on board??

Regards

Re: 3x UART on pic

Hi,

If you do a Parametric search on Microchips site it details all such chips for you.

Not aware of any with 3 hardware usarts, but it is possible if the third one is software coded instead of the internal hardware ones.

**broken link removed**

Kaleborg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
3x UART on pic

Some newer (mostly 3.3V supply) PIC18 have two UARTS, none has three. If you need more than two hardware UARTS, go for PIC24.

Kaleborg

3x UART on pic

Kaleborg,

Do you need to receive on all UARTs? If one of your serial streams is transmit-only, it can be bit-banged.

There are also external UART chips. For example SC16IS740 made by NXP. It has it's own FIFO and it interfaces to the PIC through I2C or SPI.

- Nick

Kaleborg

Hello.
Thanks for the response.

In my project i'm gonna have 2x 18f1330 which has only UART and one other pic from 18f family as a main micro. So i think that two uarts will be enough cause i was thinking about putting them both on one UART an then use one extra pin to select one or the other. So that leaves me with one remaining UART for the wireless module.

And i think i'm gonna go with 18f6622 as the main micro

Regards

Maybe there are two ways can arrive:
1. Simulate the UART through common I/O.
2. The extend UART chip such as SP2327. I have the PDF reference in chinese. Please find the attachment for application diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.