Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Real-Time or Sampling Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
May I know how to decide when to use a real-time oscilloscope and when to use a sampling oscilloscope

May I know how to decide when to use a real-time oscilloscope and when to use a sampling oscilloscope
That type distinction is only applicable to analog oscilloscopes.
There is no such difference for digital oscilloscopes, but some have 2 different modes which is similar:
"real-time": All digital oscilloscopes can do this. Only a single pulse/event/cycle of the input signal is needed.
"sampling": By measuring over several pulses/events/cycles on the input signal, and changing the sample position (interleaving), a more detailed measurement can be made. The bandwidth of the measured signal can be higher than what the oscilloscope's sample rate normally would allow.
For many cheap new oscilloscopes, the situation seems to be the opposite, they have a very high sample rate compared to their bandwidth, which probably means that they only operate in the "real-time" mode (not sure, since I don't have such a scope).

Some newer scopes, newly release, still offer both Real Time and Equ-Time. Like Hantek DSO2000
series. But interestingly manual does not discuss this, and observation at fast sweep and risetime
no observable differences in displayed waveform. Repetitive signal.

Marketing crap ? In times of yore, Tek 7854, ETS was very useful as that scope had 100 KS/sec
but good for much higher freq repetitive signals.

Regards, Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back