Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading multiple devices thru one ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nforcer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been playing on and off with PICs for about 6 months now. I want to start a new project that would help me learn more. I'm trying to read multiple remote Freescale pressure sensors that transmit a variable voltage up to 5V based on air pressure. The problem I have is I'm not really sure how to read more then one.
with my limited knowledge of electronics I think I can do it with transistors controlled with control pins on the PIC and they all connect to the single ADC on the PIC. Would this work and is there a better way that would allow me to have more channels. I also thought about seeing if I can use some of the 10F PIC I have laying around and making them be 1Wire devices. I've been playing around with these and like them. Any help would be appreciated

If you have only 1 channel for x inputs: you need e multiplexer , a switch for x lines to y or 1 output/or PIC I/O.
You can have such "8 to 1 Mux" and control the select inputs with you PICs digital outs_ if your sensor a digital signal is: is more simple to have some mux/selector...
K.

Nforcer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Nforcer,
Which 10F do you plan on using? 'cos only the 10F220 and 10F222 have ADC. The rest, I don't think do.
You can use mux or you can use transistors as you stated.
Tahmid.

Nforcer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I've had excellent results using a CMOS switch 4066 for doing exactly this; 4 channels being read on just 1 pic pin.

Regards,

Anand

Hi,

Is there a reason why you cannot use Pics with more Analogue pins so you can connect each sensor direct to its own Pic pin ?

Many of the popular 16F and 18F chips have 12 or more Analogue channels, saves buying and fitting all those extra switching devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.