Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC Time constant question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nora

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello-
I have an RC low-pass single order filter.
R = 40k
C = 10uF

The 3db point I'm filtering at is 1/2*pi*R*C = 0.4 Hz
The RC time constant is R*C = 0.4
Does this mean that there will be a 0.4 second delay between my input signal and output signal?

Thank you,
N_N

If you apply a step voltage to your RC, then after one time constant the capacitor will be 63% of the step voltage. After four time constants it will basically be there (99%).

Hello,

No, you don't get a delayed signal as the delay is frequency dependent. So if you put in a step from U0 to zero, you will get exponential decay ( U0*e^(-t/tau) ). tau = RC, e = 2.718... (natural log base). The decaying signal doesn't look like the original signal. When you go from 0 to U0, you will get (U0(1-e^(-t/tau) ).

Assuming that the input signal is digital signal (for example a square wave) and you feed the output from the low pass RC filter to a comparator, then the RC filter + comparator may behave as delay for the digital signal.

hello wimRFP
Thanks for your explanation.but i don't find the answer.for sin or cos or modulate signal we have a delay at output?
or for a impedance matching?

Are you familiar with complex calculus?

If so, calculate the transfer function (H(jw) ). Arg( H(jw) ) gives you the phase.

The time delay introduced by the low pass filter for a steady state sinusoidal signal is Tphase

Tphase = phi/w, w = 2*pi*f, phi = phase shift in radians.

When using degrees: Tphase = phi/(360*f), phi in degrees.

To find the delay for the information on a modulated signal, you need differentiation:

Tgroup = d(phi)/d(w). phi in radians.

For an impedance matching network, the steps are the same (so determine transfer function), but the math is more elaborate.

The more narrow band a matching section, the longer Tgroup. Tgroup = const/BW. BW is bandwidth (Hz) and the constant depends on the number of resonators used. A certain filter at 10 GHz with BW = 1 MHz has same group delay as filter with BW = 1 MHz at 100 MHz (assuming same filter shape).

Reactions: baby_1

baby_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.