Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerox100

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for "rc low pass filter" model for simulation in vhdl. Is there any link or guide?

VHDL is really a digital logic language. Why do you want an analogue circuit model in VHDL?

I want to model an Sigma Delta ADC with VHDL. in this case we ned to have an LowPass RC. and for simulation also we need its model.

You could always use a FIR filter to implement that RC low pass.

No I need exactly RC Low pass Model.

Sometimes you want to model external analog circuits in a digital signal processing test bench. If you are e.g. designing a PID controller, you may add a control system or "plant" model to your simulation. A first order low pass is a simple model example. It's first order differential equation can be represented by a difference equation.

As in all digital signal processing applications, the VHDL signals are still digital.

Everything FvM just said.

I know VHDL very well. And i know it is fully digital.

But how i can model an RC circuit?

But how i can model an RC circuit?
Question: How can you design a SD ADC without knowing about z-transformations and difference equations? As far as I'm aware of, digital signal processing text books are discussing the relation between time-discrete and time-continuous systems, difference and differential equations, z- and s-domain description.

For a RC low pass you get:
Code:
yn = yn-1 *(1-a) + xn * a; a ≈ T/RC

You can't. not with normal VHDL. For simulating analog circuits you should use VHDL-AMS. It is easy to learn but not every compiler can handle AMS.

You can't. not with normal VHDL. For simulating analog circuits you should use VHDL-AMS. It is easy to learn but not every compiler can handle AMS.

Could you please describe more?

well the AMS family, verilog-AMS and VHDL-AMS, are languages designed to simulate analog, digital and mixed signal circuits. they are not much different from the normal verilog and VHDL, though not synthesizable. the problem is that the conventional compilers can not handle AMS family. The ones I know which can support AMS are a special version of modelsim and mentor. I have worked with menor and have simulated some mixed signal circuits. it works perfectly.

I agree, that the circuit can be perfectly simulated with VHDL AMS. It's particularly good for complex mixed signal designs.

But you shouldn't create the impression that AMS is the only tool that can give meaningful results for this simple circuit. Including time discrete models of the analog circuit in a digital VHDL testbench works well and will be surely suffcient for the present problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…