Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC Filter delay with PWM to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownt

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am using Autocorrelation in an embedded system to determine audio frequencies 80 - 1400Hz.

After correlation I am using PWM to represent that frequency then passing it through an RC filter, and using the resulting DC as an input to an A/D on another system/enclosure via a 15cm cable.

I am using 1Kohm and1uF for the filter, which according to my calculations should settle at 90% within 1mS. However, it seems to be taking much longer. I can change it to 100uF which should be 100mS settle time, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It is all part of an audio system and there is a noticeable audible delay.

I can visually see the slow DC change on an oscilloscope compared to a much faster visual change on the PWM pin.

And I wonder if the impedance of the A/D is a significant part of the equation that I am missing, or something else.

thanks

Hi,

I am using 1Kohm and1uF for the filter, which according to my calculations should settle at 90% within 1mS
review your calculations.
1kOhm and 1uF form afilter with tau of 1ms.
But one tau is only 63%.
You need 2.3 tau = 2.3 x 1ms to get 90%

100uF will make it much slower. I assume this is not what you want.

If you need low ripple and faster resoponse you need to go for a higher order filter.
Example: (raw estimation, not calculated)
you have a 10kHz PWM and want a ripple of less than 1%
Then for a first order filter you need a cut off frequency of about 10kHz / 100 = 100Hz. Tau = 1.6 ms.

Now with a second order filter you need to set cutoff frequency to about 10kHz / (100^(1/2)) = 1kHz. (where the "2" represents the filter order)
Tau is about 2 x 0.16ms = 0.32ms.

Expect a 5 times faster settling response.

In detail settling time depends on filter characteristic.

I recommend to use some simulation software to simulate your circuit.
Even Excel could help.

Klaus

thanks for that. So instead of 2.3mS, the settling time with be 1/5th of that. hmmm, I guess the problem is somewhere else then as 1 - 20mS is not significant for an audible delay. Back to the software. thanks

Hi,

Now I'm a bit confused.
You say audible delay... but I refered to "PWM to DC".
But "DC" is not audible. Maybe I misunderstood the problem.

Maybe post a sketch of the signal flow.

Klaus

The DC is fed to the A/D on another system. The digital is used to manipulate some audio. There are various delays within the system. But the biggest one, now I know is software. There is a little in the RC filter, and some in the remote system, but mostly there is about 100mS in software as the autocorrelation is executed.

thanks

Hi,

instead of "mS" you should write "ms",
because
* an "s" means seconds
* an "S" means Siemens = A/V= 1/Ohms

Refer to:

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.