Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

radiation efficiency in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi8331

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello dear
when i simulate dielectric resoantor antenna in HFSS then the radiation efficiency of antenna is coming always greater then one means more then 100%.
plz tell me how can this happen?
radiation efficiency is always equal to or less then 100%.
plz help me......................

ravi8331 said:
hello dear
when i simulate dielectric resoantor antenna in HFSS then the radiation efficiency of antenna is coming always greater then one means more then 100%.
plz tell me how can this happen?
radiation efficiency is always equal to or less then 100%.
plz help me......................
this usually happens when the dielectric materials are not assigned any losses. also most probably radiation boundaries are not meshed as good as the dielectrics and efficiency is calculated wrong...

pls notice real efficiency which is more important in fact, and it consider return loss and other loss. hope it help!

The topic of a simulated radiation efficiency larger than unity (100%) has appeared frequently on this forum. As far as I am aware, results obtained with Ansoft HFSS and CST MWS have been discussed. In a recent paper, simulation results for the radiation efficiency of low-loss antennas (with required efficiency of 97% or higher) are shown. These results have been obtained with 5 different simulators (Ansoft HFSS, CST MWS, Ansoft Designer, FEKO, and an in-house moment code). Explanations for the efficiency results, either lower or higher than 100%, are provided. Moreover, in the discussion on the different computational procedures for the radiation efficiency, also the simulators Zeland IE3D and Sonnet are considered. Hopefully the paper can help in the understanding of problems arsing in the simulation of the radiation efficiency of (low-loss or lossless) antennas. Data of the paper: R. Maaskant, D.J. Bekers, M.J. Arts, W.A. van Cappellen, and M.V. Ivashina, Evaluation of the Radiation Efficiency and the Noise Temperature of Low-Loss Antennas, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, pp. 1166 – 1170, 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back