Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question...question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

louislu

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi....i assign a P2.1 as a output pin n connected it to a base of transistor....as attached pic...the intention of doin so is to make use of tat p2.1 to control the relay through a transistor...the relay supply is +12V....i connected the collector pin of tat transistor to the ground pin of relay...but when i toggle the p2.1 everytime...the relay seems no reaction...i suspect is the output curent of microcontroller too low....measurement is bout 0.2xx miliA...any solution?

You need to put a resistor between the uc and the bjt. This will limit the current and put less stress on the uc. You can use a darlington pair of transistors to get more current gain.

As a test, hand hold a wire between the collector and emitter of the bjt and see if the relay closes. You need a diode across the relay coil pointing towards the +12 V. This keeps inductive spikes down. Your first toggle may have damaged the transistor from this spike.

you can connect a 4.7k resistor between the transistor's

base and mcu's 5V supply to increase drive current.

because mcu's output generally has weak high level drive

and stronger low level drive.

best regards

louislu said:
hi....i assign a P2.1 as a output pin n connected it to a base of transistor....as attached pic...the intention of doin so is to make use of tat p2.1 to control the relay through a transistor...the relay supply is +12V....i connected the collector pin of tat transistor to the ground pin of relay...but when i toggle the p2.1 everytime...the relay seems no reaction...i suspect is the output curent of microcontroller too low....measurement is bout 0.2xx miliA...any solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.