Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on using HFSS for running S11 for two port network

Status
Not open for further replies.

gundam

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Question on HFSS

Hi,

I'm curious why is it that when I use HFSS to run for a S11 for a two port network, I do not need to terminate with a load? Pls correct me if I'm wrong as from my limited knowledge, in network analysis we need to terminate the other port to get the S11 result.

Thanks alot

Re: Question on HFSS

Hi
Think that you work with a two port network analyzer. When you want to see S11 while two ports are connected, you cannot connect a load to other port because of the second port.
This is the same, as you try to measure S11 with either a network analyzer or HFSS.

also, I find the similar question in the forum:

Re: Question on HFSS

by definition, S11 is the reflection coefficient seen into port 1 when port 2 is matched. if you use wave port in HFSS, port 2 is terminated with the characteristic impedance of the corresponding "eigen"-mode of a transmission line having the same cross section as the plane in which port 2 lies in. This is achieved by doing some sort of calibration (numerically). For lumped port, that load impedance is assigned by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back