Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on Thermal Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsguy123

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, I have a few questions about thermal noise

1. In the representation of thermal noise, why it is represented in the form of resistor but not a voltage source? I thought noise is some kind of irregular voltage?

2. In the thevenin representation, why the Rn is noiseless?

7622393200_1380169075.png

Thanks for the help:-D

A represents the physical nature of noise (it's in the resistor itself, there are no noiseless resistors), B and C are equivalent circuits (theoretical models).

While the above is correct, the principle of the thermal noise is the noise power or noise temperature.
Nyquist has derived that the noise power is independent of resistor value and equal to its physical temperature, P=kTB, where k is the Boltzmann constant and B is the frequency bandwidth in Hz.

From this you can derive the noise voltage (which depends upon resistor value) and noise current (as well).

B and C are just equivalent circuits of A...

Ok, I think i get it, the resistor in second and third circuit representation is noiseless is because of Nyquist has derived that the noise power is independent of resistor value. Thanks everyone for the explanation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.