Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on Razavi's 'design of analog cmos IC'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathson

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I got a question on Razavi's 'design of analog cmos IC'.
in page 112, it said that Resistance looking into the source of M2 is 1/gm but in P147, it said that the equivalant resistance is 1/gm*(1+r4/r2). I don't know why in the Differential pair, he ignore the load resistance.
Thanks a lot.

tony

I don't have razavi's book off my hand now. But your eqn clearly shows that equiv resistance is 1/gm if r2 is infinite.
Clearly, P112 probably has R2 as an ideal current source with infinite output impedance.

in page 112, it said that Resistance looking into the source of M2 is 1/gm but in P147, it said that the equivalant resistance is 1/gm*(1+r4/r2). I don't know why in the Differential pair, he ignore the load resistance.
Thanks a lot.

tony

Hi Tony, the equation on page 112 is an approximation.
Quote Razavi: ....neglecting channel-length modulation...

This simplification is identical to the assumption that the drain-source resistance is infinite - and, thus, decouples the load from the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.