Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on learning ATmega328 using Elegoo kit.

Alan8947

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I bought the Elegoo kid from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C4SK6H3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to learn programming and design hardware using ATmega328P. I know I will be using C++ to program, but at the mean time, I want to know how much I have to study ATmega328.

I designed MPU stuff long time ago, I am reading the data sheet of ATmega328, it's LOONNGG!! I also reading the assembly language. That's total of over 300 pages. My question is how far I need to study this before I start working on the kit.

I want to be a little better than kids that just follow the instruction and make some of the experiment work, I do want to eventually design using the ATmega328. So how much I need to study the ATmega328.

Thanks

Hi Klaus, Thanks for the patience.
One thing I can conclude.......I AM OLD!! Last MPU I ever design(only hardware, Jr engineer did the programming) was one with 8051 20yrs ago. Never even imagine separate buses like this. I guess it's common knowledge today, but not for old timer like me.

I finally read the Harvard architecture today and see all that. I retired 18yrs, I am sure even analog RF and all have moved on from me(just slower). I am just using this as mind exercise now.

Since ATmega328 is not 100% Harvard, the questions is:

Where's the EEPROM fits in? Does it actually have it's own address and data bus? It's only 1K!! I just want to confirm. Even it's not important to understand when programming, I just want to know.

Thanks

Hi,

it´s not about "old", It´s not about AVR or 8052.
You dive unnecessarily deep into details .. details that are not important for writing code or using the microcontroller. Since we are now at post#60 .. I call it a waste of time. (Also my time. Thus I may refuse to reply on such questions and I recommend to contact the manufacturer. Although I doubt the manufacturer spends much time in these details).

--> Better let´s focus on coding / functional problems.

May I ask why you spend so much time in this .. instead of saving time by starting to write code?
No one needs this information to use an AVR nor to use an 8052.
(This are hardware internals that determine the speed and flexibility)

When you drive a car .. do you care about how many data busses there are and whether they are connected...?

Klaus

Thanks Klaus

I want to clarify, I'll be designing circuits with this MPU, it's not just learning programming. Thanks for your time, I think there are sites like geek-to-geek that get more into this. I already join stackexchange, I'll go there instead of wasting more of your time.

My motivation is actually designing the controller board for my hifi amp, not only to control volume and switching input, I want to switch parameters of the amp also. So I have every intention to go all the way to hardware level, not just programming. I feel I need more than just programming.

Thanks

.. But neither for writing code, nor for designing a microcontroller board you need these informations.

Klaus

.. But neither for writing code, nor for designing a microcontroller board you need these informations.

Klaus
I guess I just like assemble language a little too much. Someone has to be, I do see from searching there are sites that talk about it. Maybe after I gone the full circle, I would agree that I don't need to know any of these.

Maybe it's like I am into signal integrity and chasing current loops, it sure has nothing to do in designing most circuits. But it sure save the day many times from my experience.

thanks

Hi,

You don´t need to know about the internal bus structures not even for Assembler.

I´ve designed many AVR projects in the past 25 years, very deep, very advanced, coded in Assembler, C, C++...
Sad, that you don´t belive in me.

What you are asking for is mainly for the AVR manufacturer, to "design" the performance into the chips (AVRs).

Klaus

Hi,

You don´t need to know about the internal bus structures not even for Assembler.

I´ve designed many AVR projects in the past 25 years, very deep, very advanced, coded in Assembler, C, C++...
Sad, that you don´t belive in me.

What you are asking for is mainly for the AVR manufacturer, to "design" the performance into the chips (AVRs).

Klaus
It's not that I don't believe you, I am just curious. Like I said, I don't have any time schedule, just want to spend some time on it. I have not seen any MPU for a long time, just want to know what's going on also. I plan to give myself like a month about one hr/day to just reading a little at a time. I'll get to the C++ soon.

thanks

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: