Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on IE3D (to Jian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ado

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Jian, please help me...

I am trying to design a microstrip patch antenna fed by an inductively coupled slot CPW using IE3D. As a beginning, i was trying to simulate the model like shown in this paper. Unfortunately, i can't obtain the same impedance characteristics result. It was like the result of capacitively coupled slot CPW. Could you give me some advices to design it or model of it? Thank you.

regards,

Hi, Ado:

I checked the square slot structure. It seems to me all dimensions are clear except I don't see the comment on the refernece plane. The location of reference plane will affect the curve in Smith Chart. If the feed line is 50-ohms, it will not affect the return loss curve. I tried the IE3D as attached. IE3D does predict the resonant frequency exact at 4.32 GHz. It is identical the measured value. Please check it. Regards.

ado

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Jian..
Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate your help.

How do we define the reference plane in IE3D? could you give me some examples of different value of reference plane and its changed results in impedance characteristics?

regards,
ado

Hi, Ado:

On IE3D, the default reference plane is where you define the port. For single ended extension port, you can select PORT->DEFINE REFERENCE PLANE to define a shift of reference plane immediately after you define the extension port. For differential port, you may not be able to use such a feature, you may have to use the BACK SIMULATION feature on MODUA to shift the reference plane. A CPW port is a differential port. We may automate such a feature in the next release.

Best regards,

ado

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back