Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhigopal

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Consider this case.
I have a bell which is rung by different people at different times. My question is, whether the sound that is emitted by this bell is of the same frequency at all times. If no, then how will frequency vary. Assume bell is rung with different force eveytime thereby producing loud and soft sounds as applicable.
Also, if i record this sound and perform a spectral analysis, how do you think the spectrum will look, as in, what frequencies will it contain.

p.s - moderator, if applicable, then please move this post to an appropriate forum. I thought this was the best place..

Thanks
abhi

if the bell is hit by different persons at different time(but identically), i hope only the amplitude will vary not the frequency. if the frequency varies it might be due the physical defects in the material probably.

Well by your ID i guess you belong to the Indian Subcontinent ,and the bell you are talking about must be considered as bells come in different types.
some bells have a fixed frequency no matter you press it harder or softer however other's frequency can be changed.

Why i talk of your location is in that part of the world a bells that's famous is steel bell that sounds something like tttringggg !
These bells can produce different frequencies at different presses.
the point to understand is " as frequency increases the sound gets sharper " , frequency of female voice is more !
Frequency of treble in more than that of Bass in a song. A sharp sound corresponds to a higher frequency.

Now the spectral anyalysis , " Well when you analyse the wave you are bound to get a number of sinosoidal waves one over other ( might look like amplifier noise ), the patterns will differ for different frequencies and sounds. "

However bells like electronic bell produce a fixed frequency no matter how hard or soft you press.

For clearity try to record some sounds / Bells in your computers Sound Recorder using a Microphone, then play it in sound recoder itself ( it shows the waveform ) . So you don't really need a spectrum analysyer or CRO !

Hope i sound clear ? Now can you guess i am a male or female ? Just kidding !
Bye !

Hi truebs..
Thanks for the info.. Yeah, I am from India.. this thought occured to me when I was listening to the sound of temple bells..They go "ding-dong" and not trrring.....Will do waht u said, ie, record and play..
Abhi

truebs said:
some bells have a fixed frequency no matter you press it harder or softer however other's frequency can be changed.

Can you explain how some bells have different frequency for different presses?
Why will they not always vibrate at the same set of frequencies irrespective of how hard we hit it?

considering the temple bells you are talking about. they will definitely have single frequency which would be the resonant frequency of the bell. there would be slight variations from this single frequency due to physical defects. if you ring it harder or softer, the frequency will not vary. it is just the amplitudes of the waves which will change.
i am not sure of this. could some one confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.