Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Xbee baud rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eraser

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to every one!!!!
i'm doing a project which connects a pic microcontroller and a rf module xbee, by USART, i have read the xbee datasheet, and i dont understood one thing, its the xbee baud rate. i dont know if xbee baud rate is programable, or its standard 9600bps???
If its programmable how can i programm xbee baud rate????

xbee baud

Hi,
It is true that the manual is not very clearly written. But they have mentioned that the default baud rate is 9600 baud and that other baud rates can be programmed using AT commands from PC. Do you have a programming board with serial or USB interface for this purpose to plug in the module and program? You will need this board along with the PC software to program the modules. The programmed baud rate will come into effect only after you exit AT command mode.
Regards,
Laktronics

xbee default baud rate

laktronics said:
Hi,
It is true that the manual is not very clearly written. But they have mentioned that the default baud rate is 9600 baud and that other baud rates can be programmed using AT commands from PC. Do you have a programming board with serial or USB interface for this purpose to plug in the module and program? You will need this board along with the PC software to program the modules. The programmed baud rate will come into effect only after you exit AT command mode.
Regards,
Laktronics[/quote

Thank you.
But to connect the xbee with microcontroller with 9600 baud rate, its not necessary program the xbee??? or i can plug it now???
no , i dont have a programming board, but i already have the schematic from the XBIB-U, its this board ,isnt it?

default xbee baud rate

Hi,
As regards baud rate not necessary, but won't you need to program other parameters with PC?, it appeared to be programming for many other parameters, are they not important, I should think that you should know better than me.
Regards,
Laktronics

xbee at command

laktronics said:
Hi,
As regards baud rate not necessary, but won't you need to program other parameters with PC?, it appeared to be programming for many other parameters, are they not important, I should think that you should know better than me.
Regards,
Laktronics

Yes, i need program other parameters with pic, its a normal UART communicatios,but as i wont use parity, and the start and stop bit are gennerated automaticaly, i think its just send the information , with 9600bps

xbee datasheet

hello

goto this site

www.thesiliconhorizon.com/store

there is an xbee framework on it..

it has all the source code you need to automatically set the baudrate without a programmer etc...

it is very good firmware.

it is for pic 18 devices with USB however can be ported to others.

Added after 2 minutes:

all xbee's come 9600 by default..

if you dont have a programmer (digi's interface board)

then you have to use the AT command set to enter command mode.

then you can send the following command

ATBD newbaudrate in hex.

so its like this.

***wait 1 second with nothing sent to module***
+++
***wait 1 second with nothing sent to module
<OK received>
ATBD newbaudrate in hex<cr>
ATWR<cr> (write changes)
ATCN (exit command mode)

you didnt say if it was series 2 or 1.

the above is for series 1.

with series 2 it is slightly different commands...

look in the manual for them.

Added after 2 minutes:

if you are using a series 2 module, then you need 2 different firmwares , and thus youll need the DIGI interface board to switch the firmwares....(as zigbbe has coodrinator and other firmware)...

now series 1 , you only have 1 firmware so you dont need the DIGI programmer, just the PIC software to do everything in AT commands...

doing packets on a pic is very time consuming and takes up more space etc..

i suggest doing the AT commands.

Added after 2 minutes:

oh and dont use the pic 18 library USART send and receive string commands...

that sends a null also!!

if you get the framework above, it has working functions in it.

default baud rate

Thank you.

the xbee framework is good but i already have a commun xbee, thank you anyway.
I think 9600bps for my project its good enough, but i will try the AT commands, and any doubt i post here..
Thank you very much.

setting baud rate for xbee

Hi ,

You means that a program board is necessary if I want to change xbee baud rate?
I use xbee802.15.4, pic is 16f877. uart is needed.
Would you like to give me a reply?

I am upset and dispaired last week. Because now I failed change baud rate of xbee. I only use two xbees and one pic. And Now the two xbees don't communicate. And I need find the reason why it doesn't work.

Would you like to help me to give some possible reason?I appreciate your reply.

Xing
Johns Hopkins. USA.

newuser33 said:
hello

goto this site

www.thesiliconhorizon.com/store

there is an xbee framework on it..

it has all the source code you need to automatically set the baudrate without a programmer etc...

it is very good firmware.

it is for pic 18 devices with USB however can be ported to others.

Added after 2 minutes:

all xbee's come 9600 by default..

if you dont have a programmer (digi's interface board)

then you have to use the AT command set to enter command mode.

then you can send the following command

ATBD newbaudrate in hex.

so its like this.

***wait 1 second with nothing sent to module***
+++
***wait 1 second with nothing sent to module
<OK received>
ATBD newbaudrate in hex<cr>
ATWR<cr> (write changes)
ATCN (exit command mode)

you didnt say if it was series 2 or 1.

the above is for series 1.

with series 2 it is slightly different commands...

look in the manual for them.

Added after 2 minutes:

if you are using a series 2 module, then you need 2 different firmwares , and thus youll need the DIGI interface board to switch the firmwares....(as zigbbe has coodrinator and other firmware)...

now series 1 , you only have 1 firmware so you dont need the DIGI programmer, just the PIC software to do everything in AT commands...

doing packets on a pic is very time consuming and takes up more space etc..

i suggest doing the AT commands.

Added after 2 minutes:

oh and dont use the pic 18 library USART send and receive string commands...

that sends a null also!!

if you get the framework above, it has working functions in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.