Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about the increase of bit rate with GSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rflearner

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basic question

Hi experts,

I'm undergaduate student. I read that with edge the rate is increased wrt GSM, but t the symbol rate is still same (270,8..). Ok the bit rate is increased but at the end the symbol rate is still same. SO is there something I missed?.
Thanks for your reply.

Re: Basic question

keep in mind that symbol rate is different from bit rate.
to systems can have the same symbol rate but different bit rates.
I am only sure sure about the bit rate and symbol rate in GSM i.e. both are 270.833k. (1 bit per symbol)
in EDGE, there can be more bits per symbol but at the end, the system symbol rate can be the same.
please let me know the exact values for EDGE.
the type of modulation can help.
Regards

Basic question

assume that Symbol rate is constant. if u set more bits in one symbol u can increase bitate without changing Symbol rate . u can do this by using digital modulations that send more bits on one symbol. e.g. compare 4-qam and 16-qam in general.

(but maintaining the Symbol Rate constant and letting number of bits in one symbol injcreased, is not easy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back