Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about sampling an input sine wave to system using A/D

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew257

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

i am sampling an input sine wave to my system using an A/D, i am then measuring using a scope the output from my D/A.

The problem i have is with a 1khz sine wave going in from my function generator the output looks distorted and does not look like the input signal.

Now i was aware i must sample at least twice the highest frequency component which i am doing, in this case i am sampling at 44.1khz. More than enough for a 1khz input.

when i increase the input frequency the waveform becomes even more distorted

Am i wrong to think they wavefroms should look identical in shape size etc? What frequency does a sine wave have to be sampled at to get an identical match at the output?

i am assuming the Nyquist theorem is only to retrieve the frequency component of the waveform and not the actual shape?

Re: sampling problem

You need a low-pass filter operation to recreate the original signal.

Nyquist tells you that there is way to recreate the original signal if you have samples of the original signal at twice the BW of the highest component. The way is to have a brickwall (ideal filter) which will pass through all the signal components.

In short, exactly like what the earlier response says: filter it
-b

For example, if you use this filter
20_1209426934.jpg

you must sample with your ADC at
Fs=Fc+Fmax.

See Discrete time signal processing. Oppenheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back