Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about optical links

Status
Not open for further replies.

farfar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In most media converters (ethernet to fiber) it is mentioned that supported distance, in case of full duplex communication, is much more than half duplex case.
As I know in other medias, such as wireless, supported distance or bit rate decreases in full duplex case, that make sense.
I would be very grateful if somebody explain me what full duplex means in ethernet to fiber optical link and why the quality of the ccommunication increases in case full doplex with respect to half duplex.

Thank you very much.

Full duplex means that both send and receive can take place at the same time. Half duplex means that when sending you cannot receive and vice versa. Normally, the packets are sent so fast that sending and receiveing are alternating very quickly and you dont see any perceptable delays.

Thank you.
But may you please explain me why the supported distance in full duplex mode is more than half duplex mode in fiber optics. In other medias to have a full duplex communication is more difficult.

I am not sure but Maybe that since full duplex has smaller delays so the link can be longer for a particular application.

farfar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back