Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about having RJ45 cable outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyge

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

Is it ok to expose some parts of the cable outdoor? I want to connect to a network at my neighbor's house but I dont want to use wireless. So I plan to just use an ordinary RJ45 cable to connect my pc to my friend's router. Is that ok?

Thanks!

Re: Question about RJ45

RJ45 is the connector for the 8 pin.
Cat5E or Cat6 is the cable.
Yes, you can lay the network cable across.
The maximum length is about 100m (typical).

I don’t know how water resistant a network cable is.
But I think it is a good idea to take care that the network cable doesn’t lie in a water puddle.

Question about RJ45

Usually Cat5E or Cat6 cables are prepared for indoors use. I do not know if there is someone water resistant or suitable for outdoors usage. If not, it woudl be a good thing to use a conduit to protect it. Distance shouldn't be a deal...

You should be fine running the cable outdoors. Try not to exceed 300ft and if possible use STP Cat5e cable.
I ran STP Cat5e cable from my parents downstairs to my bothers room upstairs and have not had an issue with water when it rains.

There are special kind of ethernet cable for outdoor instalation (I guess it is made from more UV and water resistant plastic), but I have seen a lots of outdoor instalations made with standard cable, and I was working for long term.

Question about RJ45

you should use cat5e or cat6 outdoor usage STP , you can use UTP (indoor) its aloso working good

Status
Not open for further replies.