Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about ATmega8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninhnguyenz

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm doing a little project and i'm very new to this AVR MCU.
So i'm wondering that can it read a specific file (sound file) from a memory card and then command something to play it?
if it can, then what was it needed to do this?
I don't know if this question sound silly to you guy, but i need your opinions.

thank in advanced.

Last edited:

Hello,
you can check the Arduino community for this kind of things.
Arduino is based on AVR chips and you can also install it on the Atmega8 (I installed it on a Atmega8-16PU).
There are bootloaders compatible with different AVR chips.

Reading an sd card is quite easy : you need an sd card reader (they are extremely cheap, there is no logic as the card itself contains the logic), they are interfaced using a SPI protocol, but you can easily find libraries that decode the FAT filesystem as well for you (used one of those on the Arduino, it's easy).

For the part related to playing the sound, I also believe there are libraries that use the PWM to generate the different frequencies.

Finally you have to decode your file, and that depends on the file type you have.
You might get lucky and find another library for that :)

That's why using Arduino might help you out : there is plenty of easily reusable code available.
BUT : you will probably have to run your Atmega8 at 16MHz (the -16PU can do that, using an external oscilaltor)

Status
Not open for further replies.