Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quality Factor calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

guo-hai

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

as I know the quality factor definition is energy stored/energy dissipated.
i found two formula to calculate it and got the same result
1. -Im(y11)/Re(y11)
2. Im(1/y11)/Re(1/y11)
Is there any relation between these two formulas?
and some other using impedance z to calculate it, is it just because series or parallel that matter ?

Thank You

After stripping all essential informations from a formula, it becomes meaningless.

After stripping all essential informations from a formula, it becomes meaningless.

what does that mean?

I just want to know how the two formula can work.

The essential information would be: y11 of which circuit? Both formulas are probably correct, but for different circuits. As we are not in a guessing game, you should disclose the related circuits.

oh, Thank you for reply FvM,
I am working on a integrated inductor.
Isn't the q factor the same to the circuit?

If y11 describes the inductor admittance, then only the second expression is correct, I think. It corresponds to Q = XL/RL

yes, but my point is the first and the second expression will give you the same answer. I think there is a connection between these expression...

The essential information would be: y11 of which circuit? Both formulas are probably correct, but for different circuits. As we are not in a guessing game, you should disclose the related circuits.

Which formula is for calculate Q factor of capacitance? And which is for inductance?
cap.jpg Port1 connect to 1?2?3?4? Port2 connect to ?
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back