Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quad single supply opamps that can handle negative input voltages

HighTechPower

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys. I have to make a circuit utilizing a quad single supply opamp which can handle negative input voltages at least up to -12V. Any idea which easily available quad opamp supports this function. The supply voltage is +15V (pin4), 0V (pin11).

Hi,

a comment about the specification:
Output to be expected 0V ... is not a valid requirement, since no OPAMP can fulfill this (unless it has negative supply voltage). Even a Rail-to-Rail-Output-OPAMP just comes close to the rail.

When using "Offset" to pull up the input, then - if you want some decent accruacy and precision - don´t rely on the power supply. A power supply is neither accurate nor precise. It is expected to be noisy and will drift with time, temperature, load current ...

All this errors you will see at the OPAMP output. maybe even amplified.
--> better use a voltage_reference_IC.

--> Give your requirements as numbers

Klaus
I want to find an opamp which has better performance than LM324 if offset is applied. Will MC34074 fulfill that purpose?

I want to find an opamp which has better performance than LM324 if offset is applied. Will MC34074 fulfill that purpose?
My preference is the TLV9154, a low-cost, rail-rail input and output op amp with good frequency response, slew-rate, and low input offset voltage.
It's CMOS so the output can generally go closer the the rail voltages than BJT types such as the MC34074.
It does have a 16V max supply voltage, so should be okay with a 15V supply.

Example circuit below using that op amp to convert the difference of the negative input voltages to the output voltage difference (here with a gain of 2).
(Of course V2 has be more negative than V1 for the output voltage to be positive.)

1711217499454.png

Last edited:
I want to find an opamp which has better performance than LM324
Hi,

how do you specify "performance"?
There is no such thing as "OPAMP performance"

Do a search on your LM324 (or any other electronics device) datasheet whether it specifies "performance".

The OPAMP datasheet specifies a lot of different values and it´s your job to decide which one is important for your application and to set the limits.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: