Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulsating buzz in my SMPS in standby mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafrse

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Have a SMPS with pulsating buzz sound when it is in standby mode, frequency of the pulsating buzz is about 1 hz. The buzz is comming from the secondary part near the output voltages. When I power up the instrument from standby, it is away (?) but not 100% sure, there are fans running and could be there but I can not hear it. However, the SMPS works fine. What can that be ?

Thanks

Most modern converters, to meet stringent unloaded efficiency requirements (like Energy Star), go into what is called a pulse skipping or hiccup mode.
This should be normal. Can you read the output voltage while in standby? Or better, apply an oscilloscope?

Hello,

Thanks for the information , will try to reach the outputs and measure the voltages with a scopemeter

Most modern converters, to meet stringent unloaded efficiency requirements (like Energy Star), go into what is called a pulse skipping or hiccup mode.
This should be normal. Can you read the output voltage while in standby? Or better, apply an oscilloscope?

Hello,

Some update:

The only output avaialble on standby is the 12V, it is all ok according to the oscilloscope , but if I measure the large 680uf 250V caps on the primary side , the voltage drops around 5 volts each buzz/whistle cycle (around 1 hz).
Also , there is a small pcb with AN8032 (power regulator active filter) with a red diode, it also blinks each buzz/whistle cycle , if I measure the voltage on one of the pins with a multimeter, the pitch of the buzz changes.
When powering up the instrument, all the buzz/whsitle goes away.
It seems to be the standby circuit (?). I have noschemtics for the power supply.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Or may be I should concider to replace the primary 680uf caps (high ESR)

If the 12v output is OK, you should be OK also
It is the burst mode during standby

Reactions: hafrse

hafrse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Have a SMPS with pulsating buzz sound when it is in standby mode, frequency of the pulsating buzz is about 1 hz. The buzz is comming from the secondary part near the output voltages. When I power up the instrument from standby, it is away (?) but not 100% sure, there are fans running and could be there but I can not hear it. However, the SMPS works fine. What can that be ?

Thanks
In standby mode (when the smps is ON)that sound is normal
It can be rectified if you can apply a signal to the shutdown pin while on standby Or put some minimum load always

In standby mode (when the smps is ON)that sound is normal
It can be rectified if you can apply a signal to the shutdown pin while on standby Or put some minimum load always

Hello, there is a standby line which goes directly from the front keyboard (power-up/power-down momentary push button) to the power supply, and I hav a 12V while in standby, can you please explain what signal or how to rectify the buzz?.

Thanks

just connect a 1k resistor accross 12v dc and see the change

just connect a 1k resistor accross 12v dc and see the change

Tried with 1k and .5k , same problem, it seems that when the other voltages are activice (when the instument is on) the buzz goes away.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.