Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pull Chain Switch + Vibrating Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbares

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a pull chain switch (4 SPD) and a vibrating pager motor which I would like to have vibrate once, twice, three times, and none (off).. how is this possible?

This is the pull chain switch:

**broken link removed**

This is the vibrating pager motor:

https://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1203.html

I currently have it hooked up to a watch battery where it runs continually. How could I incorporate all of these pieces together to get my desired result?? Help!!!

You will have to use some sort of logic. If you are comfortable with microcontrollers, you can use an 8-pin device, such as PIC12xx, or PIC10Fx
If you want to use logic circuits, that can be done, too, but it will be much more complicated.
If you are willing to use a PIC, I can help you with the code.
Meanwhile I will try and see if anything simple can be done with a couple of 555's.

From the picture it appears the switch only has 3 wires. Do you know how it switches? Is it like a binary code?

I would really appreciate any help you can offer, because I am not too experienced with engineering. Thank you sooo much.

I am going to repeat the question: do you know the connections the swithc makes?
This is the most important thing.

Next, which are you most comfortable using: discrete logic, micros, or CPLDs?

The switch has three connections, labeled L, 1, and 2. How they connect is a mystery to me. I am not necessarily married to the idea of using this type of setup to achieve the desired result, but a pull switch has to be the trigger to all of this.
As for the logic, I am open to using any form you'd recommend, as long as you can help explain its pragmatics.

I see. It sounds to me like the switch will produce either a binary combination, or it will simply connect the common to 1, 2 or nothing.
Can you check that? This is really important, since we need to know if you can actually achieve what you need with that switch. A simple measurement with an ohmmeter, or even a battery and a bulb will be fine. Let me know about it.

My order of preference would be:
a PIC micro
a CPLD
logic

The PIC will require programming, so you will need access to a programmer. Is that feasible?
The CPLD also needs programming and again you need access to a programmer
The logic does not need programming, but it will be more complicated.

The switch can simply be a momentary switch, too. The circuit can take care of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back