Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proteus - serious opinion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberblak

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Again the schematic+sim+pcb tool debate. But well, I don't want to start it all over again.

I want to know if Proteus could be considered as a professionnal design tool. I tried the demo, seems to be good, nice part management features... it has a strange user interface though (that tagging concept...).

I'd like to have the opinion of people who used it for a while... Any limitations, major drawbacks?

I need to buy a CAD tool and this one seems to have nice features for the price tag...

Thanks!

cyberblak

schematic entry OK
Simulation Good
PCB Layout OK, very good with electra autorouter.
VSM you are GOD
virtual instruments very Good

best tool for the money they charge.

hock

cyberblak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Like everything, depends what you use it for. Micro, digital it is OK. Low frequency analog also OK. RF/HF - well, found it very frustrating. In short it will not do A-Z for you.

The affordable professional mainstream PCB design tools are PADS and Cadstar. They are both Windows programs.
ie, they work like most windows programs.
Using Proteus, one wrong click with the mouse button and you've got bits all over the place.
Proteus try's to do all things and just about makes it!, I would place it as a hobiest tool.
PADS and Cadstar concentrate on doing one thing well, PCB design.

I will also recommand cadstar or pads rather than proteus.Because in these tools are more user friendly than proteus

Proteus is good because of its simple simulation of microcontrollers. Sometimes I use it if I want to make simple simulation with AVR. But in my opinion Proteus looks like a toy and doesn't fit to larger projects.

I agree that PADS and CadStar are very good... but I can't afford a 10k$US software...

cyberblak said:
Hi all,

Again the schematic+sim+pcb tool debate. But well, I don't want to start it all over again.

I want to know if Proteus could be considered as a professionnal design tool. I tried the demo, seems to be good, nice part management features... it has a strange user interface though (that tagging concept...).

I'd like to have the opinion of people who used it for a while... Any limitations, major drawbacks?

I need to buy a CAD tool and this one seems to have nice features for the price tag...

Thanks!

cyberblak

It's just "that tagging concept..." which makes Proteus not a bothering amount of sets & clicks like PADS or CadStar ! I hope it never changes.

I run a design office department here to W.DC and saving 45% of designing costs right now after 7 years of bother myself with CadStar. We do development of ARM based boards, not that Christmas games of simple simulation with AVR !

If you need RF/HF then forget Proteus, PADS or CadStar and many others as well and be prepared to afford well more than 10000USD! But if that's not your target then Proteus is your tool.

I just giving you what you asking for. A serious opinion which comes from experience.

cyberblak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That's appreciated... Exactly the kind of information I need.
RF/HF isn't my specialty anyway, no worry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back