Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Proteus 8.1 Arduino Error in compiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ex-egll

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, fairly new to Arduino boards but I have been around PIC and Proteus for a while.

I have been following some tutorials on using Arduino with Proteus and all goes well until I try to build the project then I get

Code:
mksketch -C pro328 -N atmega328p -F 8000000  ../main.ino
Can't change to Arduino core directory
make: *** [main.cpp] Error 1

Error code 2

I don't know whether this is a security issue on Win 8.1 stopping access to the core directory, or whether it is just not where Proteus expects it to be.

Can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks

Can you upload your proteus file,
Please check whether your proteus has found the path of Arduino Installation or not, if not manually provide it.

Right click the Project files and then select Project setting and change the frequency

Snap.png

Thanks for the response

Here is the code, a simple blink

Code:
/* Main.ino file generated by New Project wizard
 * Created:   Thu Sep 5 2013
 * Processor: ATmega328P
 * Compiler:  Arduino AVR
 */

void setup() {                
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  // Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards:
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);     
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}

There was an extra line at the end of the errors this time

Code:
mksketch -C pro328 -N atmega328p -F 16000000  ../main.ino
make: *** [main.cpp] Error 1

Error code 2

Compiler configuration file is modified. Please load default project settings (Project settings - Compiler - Defaults).

I am not sure how to tell if Proteus has found the path to the Arduino Installation. If I go to System / Compilers Configuration I can see that Arduino AVR is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Labcenter Electronics\Proteus 8 Professional\Tools\ARDUINO, but I don't think that is what you are referring to. I believe the Arduino installation you mean is C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino. Where would this be referenced in Proteus?

As you can see, changing the frequency made no difference.

Meant to add in the last message, I followed the instructions in the last line of the error message, the only difference it made when I did a build was to remove that line in the error message.

Thanks for your interest

Last edited by a moderator:

Is your Arduino Path Configured Properly and is detected by Proteus, check that, i think this is the source of error.

Go to System->Compiler Configuration and Check the Arduino.

ArduinoPath.png

Try to detect the compiler by clicking on Auto, If not then uninstall Arduino IDE and install it once again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also make sure that you are using the latest version of Arduino IDE, which is 1.0.6 and then try, if not upload your proteus project, i will check what the problem is.

Reactions: ex-egll

ex-egll

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Again, thanks for your willingness to help.

I have just had to do a clean install of windows 8.1 yesterday and I was hoping that would solve the problem as everything was in its original folder, but the same issue remains. I am really leaning toward it being a security issue on Win 8.1 preventing accessing / writing to a file.

Could you tell me what directory the error message "Can't change to Arduino core directory" is referring to?

Here are two attachments, a screen shot and the project in zip format. Thanks.
ArduinoTest.jpgView attachment Arduino Mega 2560.zip

Your zip file works perfectly on my machine, windows XP.

Try to run proteus 8.1 as Administrator and then try to open your file.
If this error is due to security issue then admin rights must solve this issue.

Apart from this i am not getting other points.
Just try the admin rights, hope it will work for you.

Well thanks for trying, still no go here:-?

Last question, do you happen to know what directory the error message:

is referring to?

I don't know, i haven't faced such problem.
I thought it might be due to the admin rights, what is the configuration of your PC, if it is good then try virtual machine and install everything inside a windows xp or 7 and check whether that works or not.

Solved!
Well, finally tracked it down, partly my own stupidity I am afraid. Earleir on you said:
"make sure that you are using the latest version of Arduino IDE, which is 1.0.6 and then try"

Well I read "latest" and downloaded 1.5.8 :thumbsdown: I have just tried wit 1.0.6, and guess what ...... it works!

Thanks very much for the help, and my apologies if you feel I have wasted your time

ex-egll

Its okay, i never though you will install 1.5.8, i thought may be you were using 1.0.x some old version may be 0.x.x, thats why i was saying, i had read that some where, the error you were mentioning is due to using some old version.

Now you can mark the thread as solved and proceed further with your work. :)

Thank you. It worked for me by uninstalling and re-installing Arduino. I installed Arduino prior to installing Proteus. After Proteus installation, it detected Arduino right away but resulted on the compiling error mentioned. So what I did, was uninstall Arduino and use Proteus to download and install Arduino, worked like a charm

Thank you. It worked for me by uninstalling and re-installing Arduino. I installed Arduino prior to installing Proteus. After Proteus installation, it detected Arduino right away but resulted on the compiling error mentioned. So what I did, was uninstall Arduino and use Proteus to download and install Arduino, worked like a charm

Can you breifly explain how did you solve this problem ?

Can you breifly explain how did you solve this problem ?

With your name, I'm not sure if you're joking or not. Anyway, like I said, Arduino was installed in my machine before Proteus. I uninstalled Arduino after I installed Proteus.

Then I installed Arduino using Proteus. The steps in installing Arduino using Proteus below:

1. Open Proteus
2. Click Source Code icon to open source code window
3. Go to System, then Compilers Configuration.
4. Look for Arduino AVR then click Download.
5. Follow installation procedure.

This should install Arduino.

I think arduino latest IDE is 1.5.8 or .9. I have 1.5.8.

Arduino latest IDE is 1.6.1 while series 1.5.x is for intel galileo boads i think.

i do 1 to 5 steps but proteus download and install old version 1.0.6 arduino ! so i uninstalled. when i download new version of arduino 1.6.3 and install it directly, proteus did not detect it, why?
how i can forced it to download new version automaticly?

In System / Compilers Configuration just after installing the latest Compiler manually click the Check button and it will auto check for the Arduino path and assign it. Install Arduino manually for default path.

In System / Compilers Configuration just after installing the latest Compiler manually click the Check button and it will auto check for the Arduino path and assign it. Install Arduino manually for default path.
Arduino installed on default directory "C:\Program Files\Arduino"
i do ur mentioned steps ,but herein message appear:

Detecting compiler Arduino AVR
Compiler not detected.

Compiler detection summary
Not Found:
Arduino AVR:

Windows XP and Proteus 8.1

Last edited:

This is the path where Proteus installed Arduino for me. C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino

I then clicked Check and Check All buttons and it found the Compiler. If you want latest Compiler then do like this

Install Arduino from Proteus. Let it install whatever version it wants after downloading. Then click check and check All buttons and let Proteus assign the path for Arduino. Now close Proteus and delete Arduino directory and install the 1.5.9 or latest version of Arduino to the same default directory. Now open Proteus project and do your work.

I am using Win 8.1 Enterprise x64.

This is the path where Proteus installed Arduino for me. C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino

I then clicked Check and Check All buttons and it found the Compiler. If you want latest Compiler then do like this

Install Arduino from Proteus. Let it install whatever version it wants after downloading. Then click check and check All buttons and let Proteus assign the path for Arduino. Now close Proteus and delete Arduino directory and install the 1.5.9 or latest version of Arduino to the same default directory. Now open Proteus project and do your work.

I am using Win 8.1 Enterprise x64.
i do that but not work
finally i use old version of Arduino(Auto downloaded) but in compile progress some header file errors occured that in direct compile did not seen!
i am so confused !!

Status
Not open for further replies.