Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Proportional Integral Control in Line tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricgeek

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using an array of 10 LED/Photo-transistors to track a line. How can I implement PI control on it? I've did normal line tracking and I used PIC18f4520. I used the comparator outputs in logic to control speed of motors by PWM. Now i have to line track with PI control.

My system w/o PI control:
Sensors->Comparator->Controller->H-bridge->Motors

Where will the PI control fit in? And is it software only or has hardware too?

How can I implement PI control on it?
A regular PI control design is expecting a continuous error signal. But we can assume, that a 10 step quantization still gives some analog behaviour. Now you have effectively a proportional (P) controller, the control system has however integral behaviour, a constant manipulated value (PWM setpoint) results in a continuously increasing or decreasing error. In this case, only a small integral action would be allowed for a stable system. And I wonder, if there's any need to add integral action to your controller?

As long as the error signal quantization isn't a problem, the controller behaviour can be completely implemented in software.

Thanks, it cleared up quite a lot. And yeah, i'm supposed to implement PI on it. One more thing though, i will determine the Kp and Ki values by hit and trial?

i will determine the Kp and Ki values by hit and trial?
Why not? Remember, that you already know a working Kp value. You possibly also have tried to modfy it. So the only difference is in adding integral action. As said, I won't expect too much from it under the present conditions. You could also try Ziegler-Nichols oscillation method to get an estimation for Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back