Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Nice job guys!

I've extended my previously built serial only ICD2 with the 4550 and the USB interface is working fine now, except for the USB LED.
Could someone explain which pin to use? There are several versions of schematics either using RC1 or RC2 (in my circuit RA4 is pulled down, RA1 and RB7 is pulled up, icd24550_new_boot.hex is used). I've tried both and it's either always on or off but not flickering as I would expect. When should this LED lit anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Added after 4 hours 57 minutes:

ech said:
U1 & R3 are still getting hot after plugged. ( even the parts around u1 ( L2, C2, C3, C4) are a little warm)
What voltage do you have as Vpp?
Are you sure you're using the right component values (especially R6 and L2)? Do you use a Schottky diode at D1? Is the C3 a low ESR type?
What voltage can you measure across R3?

MPLAB can connect to the ICD but after +/- 5s, I get a dialog box saying that mplab lost the communication. ( with a question, would you like to reconnect..)

The self test hangs..
If the U1 is socketed, you can try to remove it and try the self test again. It will fail because of Vpp, but the rest should be fine.

Some more info: I don't have any usb plug so I cut an usb cable and soldered the wires directly on the pcb... I also soldered the ground "blindage" ( sorry, I don't know the english word for the ground wires around the cable) on the pcb .
I guess it's called shielding.

ech said:
U1 & R3 are still getting hot after plugged. ( even the parts around u1 ( L2, C2, C3, C4) are a little warm)
What voltage do you have as Vpp?
Are you sure you're using the right component values (especially R6 and L2)? Do you use a Schottky diode at D1? Is the C3 a low ESR type?
What voltage can you measure across R3?

MPLAB can connect to the ICD but after +/- 5s, I get a dialog box saying that mplab lost the communication. ( with a question, would you like to reconnect..)

The self test hangs..
If the U1 is socketed, you can try to remove it and try the self test again. It will fail because of Vpp, but the rest should be fine.

Some more info: I don't have any usb plug so I cut an usb cable and soldered the wires directly on the pcb... I also soldered the ground "blindage" ( sorry, I don't know the english word for the ground wires around the cable) on the pcb .
I guess it's called shielding.[/quote]

Hello, Thanks for giving me advise.

I measure 0.1V around R3.
6.58V as vpp !!!!!
D1 is 1N5819
R6 220 Ohms
R3 0.47Ohms
R2, 2.2K
R1: 22K
C3: 47µF 25 low esr?? don't know
L2 ( Brown, Black, silver, silver)

Thanks again!!
Ech

ech said:
100uH should be brown-black-brown-something.
What voltages do you have on all pins of U1?

z01z said:
ech said:
100uH should be brown-black-brown-something.
What voltages do you have on all pins of U1?

pin 1: 4.87 V
pin 2: 0
pin 3: 2.14
pin 4:0
pin 5: 0.6
pin 6:4.96
pin 7:4.85
pin 8: 4.37

as far as the inductance is concerned, I might have been fooled by the salesman ...
I've never used such kind of parts before and could not detect the mistake...

Unfortunately I don't have any other inductance is stock exepct for one soldered on an old pc phone modem. ( Brown, Black, Black, silver)

Would it be possible to adapt other parts to reach 12.5V on vpp ???

I tried running the self test without the MC34063A but it didn't succeeded...

I'm still wondering what could make the icd disconnect after a few seconds .....

Thanks a lot for your help ..
Ech

ech said:
pin 1: 4.87 V
pin 2: 0
pin 3: 2.14
pin 4:0
pin 5: 0.6
pin 6:4.96
pin 7:4.85
pin 8: 4.37
Pin 5 should be 1.25V if the circuit works properly. Also, pin 6-8 should be around 5V. Seems like the IC is trying to generate the output voltage but it cannot. I'd say first try to replace the inductor.

Unfortunately I don't have any other inductance is stock exepct for one soldered on an old pc phone modem. ( Brown, Black, Black, silver)
It's a 10uH inductor. If you don't need the modem anymore, you can give the inductor a try, it might be enough (or at least works better than the current one).

Would it be possible to adapt other parts to reach 12.5V on vpp ???
You'd better get a correct inductor instead of changing anything else.

I tried running the self test without the MC34063A but it didn't succeeded...

I'm still wondering what could make the icd disconnect after a few seconds .....
Do you still have the Microchip device listed among the USB devices after the disconnect?

[/quote]Do you still have the Microchip device listed among the USB devices after the disconnect?[/quote]

Good news...

I replaced the inductor and I get 13.65V at "output" of the diode. ( and the chip does not get hot anymore !!!!! ( thanks a lot for that ...)

Other voltages are the ones expected by you !!! ( Damm salesman, and shame on me not knowing the color code for the inductors...)

Bad news:

MPLAB still looses the communication after a few seconds

The device is still showing in the device manager even after mplab says that it lost the comuunication

here the led states from left to right. ( for me, left is near the inductor)
after plug in in usb: 0 0 1 1
after staring mplab: 0 0 1 1
after selecting icd as debugger: 0 0 1 1
after connect in mplab: 1 0 1 1
then I get the ICDwarn0054 dialog box: communication lost,if I click yes
I get 0 0 1 1

Should I use the function "Download ICD2 operating system" ??"

... thanks a lot for your help !!!!!
regards
and have a good night
Ech

It`s the best. I read almost all the post and i`m very happy. I will try to do this ICD2.5. Succes.

Anyone know where I could purchase all the parts in PiCS version together?

no need resistor for mclr to +Vcc

Did Microchip ever publish the schematics for the ICD2, especially the 4550 version? I can find the picstart2 schematics on their homepage, but not the ICD2 ones.

Microchip do not publish any ICD2 schematics, Cypress USB or 18F4550 USB.
All the ICD2 schematics are reversed engineered, and most schematics are simplified from original in order for easy-making.

In fact, different revisions of ICD2s, keeping the same logical functions, is not 100% the same in circuits, especially in power and interface section.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Please check the capacitor between 18F4550 VUSB and Ground. Missing or incorrect capacitor may cause unstable USB operation.

* Edited to avoid confusion according to Andy_123's comment. Very sorry to Andy_123, PiCS and all for the misleading casued by previous post. *

TQFP version

For people asking for pictures, here is the latest design:
I removed few resistors, put universal pattern for DC-DC converters and corrected RJ45 pinout to be compatible with real PIC.
I did not install ICSP headers because now I can program TQFP chips off the board!
Let me know if you need a set.

I will post updated files over a weekend

Hello all,

What are the intensity / amperage requirements for Vpp ? Did anyone try with a Maxim MAX662A ? It uses very few parts (4 caps and no inductors) to generate 12v at 30ma.
**broken link removed**

And it is available as a sample from maxim.

I will certainly try it.

Regards,

Ludovic.

Ludovic LANGE said:
Hello all,

What are the intensity / amperage requirements for Vpp ?

Few mA only.

MAX662A is a good one, but it's relativiously expensive, try TPS6734 from ti !

Andy,

Bravo Sir. Nice job, as usual. Tiny little thing, isn't it (grin)?

Just received samples of DIP and TQFP devices but not sure these old eyes and fat fingers can work with those TQFP packages (grin).

Kind regards, Mike

Mike said:
... not sure these old eyes and fat fingers can work with those TQFP packages
Do you want me to hold magnifying glass for you ;)
Yes, my eyes are not as good as use to be, this was actually first PCB I made using a magnifying glass...
But TQFPs are not that bad, 0.8 mm pitch is OK.
I realized that 0.5 pitch is too small for home projects.

batbatdieu said:
Hi , finally my ICD2 is working , it's so cool .
Hey, do not lie every one. Do you really drive your ICD2 well , hehe!

I got stuck with inductor sale mans. Oh, f*ck him, gave me the wrong inductor.
I post the inductor calculator here for someone have the same problem: h**p://tritium.fis.unb.br/Fis3Exp/fcim.csdc.com/fcimis/compid/ind/radind.html
100uH must be brown-black-brown-something.
By the way, batbatdieu said that the ICD2 Clone schematics version posted here by PiCs doesn't have MCPxxxx. So the Vpp is fixed at 12.5 V. Is it right? And how to solve it?

now to start reading from the start again

Thanks ppl. :)

manu said:
Ludovic LANGE said:
Hello all,

What are the intensity / amperage requirements for Vpp ?

Few mA only.

MAX662A is a good one, but it's relativiously expensive, try TPS6734 from ti !

I have used MAX641. No external mosfet or diode necessary ( up 250mW output )
Only 1 inductor (470 uH) and 2 resistors for adjustable out.

Status
Not open for further replies.