Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Jarin, the whole information is in this topic. Others have slogged to get this project going. Please go through the posts and you too will succeed :) ... pun unintended .... "there is no fruit without sweat"

Cheers

Ravi

Well said Ravi. Some people just want everything on silver plate.

ravimarcus said:
"there is no fruit without sweat"
Ravi

yes, you're right... ;)
I just read the whole thread, it's really long, but it gave me a lot of background information. Last time I read it about two weeks ago, but I decided to start again.
Think I gathered all relevant information, so when I found some spare time betwen exams, I will try it and report here, of course :)

The request above asking for a summary of the project thus far does not seem unreasonable to me. Boards like this have a history of those with the more advanced skills bringing ideas to fruition and then making it easy for those still on the way up.
The long read to the end has much too and frowing and a summary would be as great a contribution as any submitted.
I think of the work done by **broken link removed** which got me and many going.
To that person who puts this project decently to rest I give great thanks.
Regards,
John.

Ok, I'll bite.

3 easy steps to ICD2 heaven:

1) Build the hardware shown at www.mcu.ez
2) Load the 877a firmware that's linked to early on in this thread.
3) Load Zedman's 18f4550 firmware that's linked to a couple pages ago.

DONE.

Voltagedrop
i went to the web page but there is no values on the drawing do i take it we can use the same ffrom the serial/usb version but just get rid of the CY7C64613 parts ?

I have read this complete thread over and over but the more i read it and more files uploaded i'm gettting totaly confused i don't know about anybody else on here.

Alls I'm asking is a little guideance on the valaues

cheers

wizpic

:idea:
Components (6) to ICD2 - USB

PIC18F4550 - 20MHZ
PIC16F877 - 20MHZ
DG411
SN74HC126
74HC04
MIC2172

Hi All,

I am nwo trying to get my prototype running since two weeks... without much luck however...

I've basically build the ICD like mcu.cz - burned the 877 with the BL010101.HEX and the 4550 with the OS + BL from zedman.

In MPLAB I receive this messages:

Auto-connect not enabled - Not connecting (Try enabling auto-connect on the ICD2 settings pages.)
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0289: Unable to re-program ICD2 USB OS firmware.
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

immediatly after trying to connect.

USBMon shows this in its last lines:

000359: Bulk or Interrupt Transfer (UP), 21.05.2006 20:39:28.0182656 +0.0
Pipe Handle: 0x81a17abc (Endpoint Address: 0x82)
Get 0x40 bytes from the device
000360: Bulk or Interrupt Transfer (UP), 21.05.2006 20:39:28.0583232 +0.0400576
Pipe Handle: 0x81a17a9c (Endpoint Address: 0x81)
Get 0x8 bytes from the device

I have also modified the asm code (knowing nearly nothing about PIC assembler) to skip the tests for RB7, OS and whatever it is that is checked also.

MPLAB connects then and asks to updload the firmware for the 877 - however the busy led lids and there it stays forever...

any ideas?

Also what do you think about modifying the ASM to use one of the unused PINs to create the 13 VPP - this would mean at least one component less of a final board - of cource with the caveat that we cannot upgrade the firmware from Microchip easily without breaking the VPP.

Many Thanks,
Manuel

I had this problem until I pulled RB7 to Vdd.

Also somehow I missed BUSY signal.
Added -got it working.
877A downloading all OSs witout any problems.

Thanks everyone.

Hello guys!
anyone can help me??
I wanna build one ICD2 to programming dspic30F2010!!
anyone can send me the schematic?!?!
skirk_rox@hotmail.com
ty a lot

Hi Guys,

I downloaded MPLAB 7.4 today and it works with EDA ICD2 :-D

These are the 4 files that are there in MPLAB 7.4

icd2_4550_os_0102.bin
icd2_4550_boot_0182.bin
icd2_4550_os_0100.bin
icd2_4550_boot_0180.bin

Cheers

Ravi

ravimarcus said:
I downloaded MPLAB 7.4 today and it works with EDA ICD2 ...

hi, ravi
this is good new. did you try to program new bootloader icd2_4550_boot_0182.bin
i will try this later.

best regards,
stroma

ravimarcus said:
Hi Guys,

I downloaded MPLAB 7.4 today and it works with EDA ICD2 :-D

These are the 4 files that are there in MPLAB 7.4

icd2_4550_os_0102.bin
icd2_4550_boot_0182.bin
icd2_4550_os_0100.bin
icd2_4550_boot_0180.bin

Cheers

Ravi

I do it too, but everytime i do a 'connect' command, it returns:

ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
Target Device PIC18F2550 found, revision = a3
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

This is normal??

ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!

Hi everyone!

This is my hardware version of ICD2. The PCB is drawned from Potyos schematics. Thanks for him. I used Zedmans 4550 firmware and thanks for him and also thanks for everyone who has been helping this project. And sory. The name of the components aren't same as they are in the schematics.

Please check if there are any errors in my PCB. Everytime when I try to connect my ICD, MBLAB shows me:

ICD0019: Communications: Failed to open port: (Windows::GetLastError() = 0x2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.
')
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Please help me with this problem. Thans again beforehand :D

I finally got mine working - however still needs 2-3 seconds while single stepping with some open watches but much more useful than the serial one with 20-30 seconds single stepping.

Tugge,

did you see the microchip device in the device manager? It seems that the ICD2 PIC is not available to you (PC) OS...

Best Regards,
Manuel

stroma said:
this is good new. did you try to program new bootloader icd2_4550_boot_0182.bin

I installed the MPLAB 7.4 and connected the ICD. MPLAB took a couple of seconds to connect and then said connected. Normally MPLAB connects in a second.

I got the following message
I got no other message and I feel it must have downloaded the firmware.

Cheers

Ravi

Added after 3 minutes:

Tugge said:
ICD0019: Communications: Failed to open port: (Windows::GetLastError() = 0x2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.
')
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

You will get this message if the PC does not find the 18F4550. .... could be a problem with your USB connections. When I disconnect the ICD from the PC, I get this message if I try to connect.

Cheers

Ravi

manuel1139 said:
did you see the microchip device in the device manager? It seems that the ICD2 PIC is not available to you (PC) OS...

hi, manuel
i see my ICD2 in device manager. is that you mean?

best regards,
stroma

Hi everybody!

I made a prototipe of this ICD2 mixing the original schematic (DG411 part) and Potyos schematics.
I burned the 18F4550 micro first with the HEx file provided me by NICK7 (thanks again Nick!) and than with Zedman's one (the one named icd24550_ntwp.hex posted some pages ago).

I downloaded the 7.4 version of MPLAB IDE and as I connected the ICD2 the text:

appared and than MPLAB gave me an error (I don't remember what was this error). But after downloaded the new boot code, the ICD2 circuit worked properly.

Before burning the 18F4550 with the Zedman's code, sometimes the error:

appared to me, but every time it appared I had to reprogramm the 18F4550.

I read the 18F4550 code from PIC after MPLAB downloaded the new BOOT codeand this the HEX file.

Compliments to all people that has developed this fantastic circuit!

Luca.

Oh, Yeah! Finally it works. Thanks all for good job.
F2455 flashed successfully :).
It's very fast comparing to ICD2-RS232. I've used TQFP-s, double sided board and almost all SMD-s components. PCB is 7cm x 4.5cm. And of course its all hand-made :)

Thanks again.

Hi , finally my ICD2 is working , it's so cool .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back