Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brem,
Is your onechip ICD working from within MPLAB and if so which PICs
are supported. I'm only interrested in the 2550/4550 itself so if
that works it would be great. Is your FW public?

Rgds
/&&

ravimarcus said:
predrage said:
OK I will play with this values and see what will happen. Thanks.

Predrage,

Have you tried it out. All these days I was using the code on 12C508. today I tried it with 10F206. It works like a charm.

Cheers

Ravi

Hi Ravi. Unfortunately I didn't yet. I didn't get 10F206 but I played a little with mplab and your code and acording to mplab and mplab's simulator everything is ok. I used configuration word from mplab's example. I think that is ok but I don't have time wright now to check in datasheet.

Hi everybody..
I accidentally found some interesting thing, to make my circuit work i have to supply all circuits with external 5V for 16f876 and 876a devices, but if i'm programming the pic18f2550 or 18f2320 i have to connect the + probe of the oscilloscope directly to the /mclr pin in the target device, or i have to connect the nokia LCD module instead the probe to mclr, so what am i missing?

i'm wondering about the rb7(877)->pgm in the 0430_004 schematic posted by pappinait?

can anybody tell me what is that for?

cheers narccizzo..

predrage said:
Hi Ravi. Unfortunately I didn't yet. I didn't get 10F206 ...

No need to stick to 10F206. You can use 10F200. If you need the code, I will upload it.

Cheers

Ravi

hi stroma

in your schematic found one piece of NAND (U15a) who drive standalone 126,
but in original ICD2 pcb this is not true. Here is one tiny logic AND ( A08S).
Because pin 6 of ICD conn is not used in many application this is not error.

bye

bendjy

Original ICD2 uses AHC/AHCT versions to support 2-6V programming/debugging, the 74AHC126 is marked as AHC126 or HA126, and 74AHCT126 is marked as AHCT126 or HB126.

Using 74HC126 / 74HCT126 , or 125 for 5V programming and/or debugging is fine. If the debugger will be used for low voltage (3.3V for example) debugging, please consider using 74AHC126 / 74AHCT126 (or 125) like the original ICD 2 does. However, some said that one of the chip may be a little bit difficult to find locally, so use the available chips will be ok. The important suggestion is to keep pull down (for 126) work in order to turn off output when 877 is in reset.

For your refererence, and I did not tesed: Some clone designs use other bus buffers e.g. 74VHC1GT125, NC7SZ126, ...

finally i did it! :)
thanks to all, the problem was by using the mcu.cz schematic, interface between 877-target made it with resistors not with 00,125 and 126.

stroma, i think that the 220 resistor it's to limit the current if a short circuit occurs.

let me start with the boost converter and then my pcb version.

cheers.. narccizzo

Added after 1 minutes:

but i still don't know how in the rs232 version the resistors interface works? somebody knows why?

bendjy said:
hi stroma

but in original ICD2 pcb this is not true. ...

bendjy

You are right, it’s my mistake - U15a should be AND.

best regards,
stroma

stroma said:
bendjy said:
hi stroma

but in original ICD2 pcb this is not true. ...

bendjy

You are right, it’s my mistake - U15a should be AND.

best regards,
stroma

pappinbait's schematic also shows a NAND there... is it wrong too? Is all that logic really necessary? I'm trying to make a layout with few components so people can build these as cheaply as possible and some of that logic seems strange. For example, U3C in pappinbait's schematic will never change state since both pins are pulled down... ???

The reason why these logic on RB1, RB6, and RB7 is such strange, I think, is because these 3 signals are already used to drive MCP41XXX and no single exclusive pin is available.

Since all ICD2 documents decribe only 5 of the 6 pins and mark this pin "Not used", it would be safe to implement this "Not used" pin nothing, or just a 4.7k pull down resitor to compatible with genuine ICD 2 and PGM on ICD 1.

Interesting. How often does the 877 talk to the MCP41xxx to set the Vpp? Will an error show up in MPLAB if the MCP41 is omitted and a constant Vpp is used? I guess the logic will have to stay, though the schematic at mcu.cz does not have it. I can't interpret the page so can anybody tell me if that programmer is working?

Hi Voltage Drop,
The circuit at mcu.cz is a working design, i am infact selling these units. The ICD also works without the mcp41XXX. I does not give any errors. Only the voltages should be in the range for ICD2 to pass the test. Then to correctly programme the devices.

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0289: Unable to re-program ICD2 USB OS firmware.
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Can anyone throw some light on this ???

Cheers

Ravi

Hi again,

I've got code for 10F20x working as an oscillator for Vpp source :
(taken from this topic, but this version is for lazy ones (ctrl+c,ctrl+v) :D )
Code:
	list      p=10F206            ; list directive to define processor
	#include <p10F206.inc>        ; processor specific variable definitions

ORG     0x000             
    movfw 	0x00
	tris	GPIO
	movwf 	GPIO
	movwf 	CMCON0
	movfw	0b11000000
	option

start:	
	clrwdt
	bsf		GPIO,2
	nop
	nop
	bcf 	GPIO,2
	nop
	nop
	goto start 

END

ready to compile using mpasm from mplab... (osc out on GP2 (pin4))

I'd like to know how to create a 330uH inductor by a hand ? Can you provide a short description ? How many coils and what wire to use ? Ferrite needed ? (if yes - what dimensions ? )

Thanks.

Alliegro said:
Hi Voltage Drop,
The circuit at mcu.cz is a working design, i am infact selling these units. The ICD also works without the mcp41XXX. I does not give any errors. Only the voltages should be in the range for ICD2 to pass the test. Then to correctly programme the devices.

Good, that eliminates a couple parts then. Are you using the shared crystal just like the schematic shows? This thing could be very small with QFP devices and no serial port! :D

I'm gonna make this icd2-usb on 7cm x 4.5cm pcb, double sided FR4.
As soon as it will be tested I will share my job.

Btw: I've created and tested my inductor :) ferrite core 10x6x4mm cylindrical, with 18 coils of 0.5mm copper wire insulated.
with code :
Code:
 	clrwdt
	bsf		GPIO,2
	nop
	nop
	nop
	bcf 	GPIO,2
	nop
	nop
	goto start

it gives about 13.2V on 78L12 with yellow LED between common->gnd.

I finally had time to add a driver section and this thing actually works! :D

You should all be proud of your efforts. I will work hard on my layout this weekend to celebrate the working prototype. I am using the max662 for Vpp with an opamp acting as the switch. I have successfully programmed an 18f4550 and 16f877a as targets and will attempt my 18f8720 board tomorrow. Good night :p

VoltageDrop said:
I finally had time to add a driver section and this thing actually works! :D

can you please post the whole schematic and code in one place? It would be very helpful for other users...
Thanks.

Jarin

If you have 2 diodes instead of an LED like shown in my schematic posted earlier, the voltage for VPP will be suitable for both the 16F and 18F devices. I have flashed 18F4550 and 16F877A with the USB based design and have succeeded.

The front end of my design is not with GATES but with resistors and it works with a cable that is 4 FEET long, no 6" limitations :-D.

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this project individually.

Cheers

Ravi

Added after 18 minutes:

can you please post the whole schematic and code in one place? It would be very helpful for other users...Jarin

Come on Jarin, the whole information is in this topic. Others have slogged to get this project going. Please go through the posts and you too will succeed :) ... pun unintended .... "there is no fruit without sweat"

Cheers

Ravi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back