Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
have u guys checked out the new pic 32 starter kit board?

it uses a single 18lf4550 and has connections to jtag and ICSP on the pic 32.

can this be done for pic24 and dspic for an easy USB programmer?

they use the 28 pin DFN chip and thats it.

newuser33 said:
have u guys checked out the new pic 32 starter kit board?

it uses a single 18lf4550 and has connections to jtag and ICSP on the pic 32.

can this be done for pic24 and dspic for an easy USB programmer?

they use the 28 pin DFN chip and thats it.

A much simpler and IMO better beginner USB programmer is the PICkit2.
Both myself and funnynypd have posted clones / compatible designs
See the Junebug thread at the top of this forum.

i already have the ICD2 and the pikcit 2

i was posting this for you guys to check it out.

:)

but thanks :)

Hi Friends
Finally this is my ICD2 PCB, some ICs are in the bottom side...still testing for limitations, it works from low voltage as 2 .00 volts, tested with PIC16LF876, now no have problems for loss the firmware, it uses external power supply or USB power supply.

Thanks to all people who worked in this great project.....
Jose[/img]

I tought maybe it would be good to have a list of devices tested on various clones, so here is mine.

What my clone can debug:

16F877
16F877A
30F1010
18F2455 (added 27.12.2007)
18F458 (added 27.12.2007)
18F4550 (added 28.12.2007)

You can program only:

n/a

and those won't be recognized:

30F3014
30F4013
30F5011

The design is PiCS revB.

I will keep you updated if I find anything new.

I am not very sure about the debugging part. I just build your Junebug. I have noticed an error in the schematic (+D and -D swapped according to standard USB type B connector pinout), I connected it anyway and of course it did not work. I quickly made a few measurements and finally decided to swap them. It works, can program etc. but won't enter into debug mode. This is testing with a 18F4550. So, my ICD clone and your Junebug are a pretty equal match if you ask me. If I program only and then release the target - all is well. Equal behaviour.

Done a quick test with a 16F877A too. Everything works, including debuging. I really don't get it. Tried with all kind of oscillators checked the debug ports to be enabled, the lot. No success.

Damn.:|

I am beggining to think what my problem is. Before you dive into this problem, let me point out that my Junebug is not entirely built to the specs. I use different transistors and a 100u inductor. The inductor should be bigger, but I really do not have anything else lying around. The ferrite bead is also missing, but that probably is no biggy. Electrolytes are off by 50%+ for the smps and 10x lower for the pic, but this again should pose no threat to the application. And ofcourse, I use 4550 in Junebug, yes, pins rerouted.

If it programs it should debug, you must have a running target PIC to use debug where programming does not require a clock on the target.
Thanks for the heads up about the schematic and USB+/- being reversed, (fortunately the PCB is correct) I'll update the manual ASAP.
The bead is optional and should not affect the Junebug, it's supposed to be there but my prototype was also built sans bead.
PS try to run the program in the now poorly named "Inchworm Quick Project" guide. It won't support the debugger but with a 16F877A target it should flash the LED (if it doesn't your 16F877A crystal isn't running, try lowering the caps to 18pf)
PPS the Junebug (and PICkit2) do not pull the target to 5V (the Inchworm & ICD2 do) so you must have a 22K resistor between MCLR & +5V on your 16F877A

Added after 12 minutes:

iggyboy nice catch on the schematic, allow me send you a Junebug PCB. Please send me your address in a PM.

can i programm the 18f4550 and 16f877 using lvp?? for potyo's and pics version ?

iggyboy said:
I am not very sure about the debugging part. I just build your Junebug. I have noticed an error in the schematic (+D and -D swapped according to standard USB type B connector pinout), I connected it anyway and of course it did not work. I quickly made a few measurements and finally decided to swap them. It works, can program etc. but won't enter into debug mode. This is testing with a 18F4550. So, my ICD clone and your Junebug are a pretty equal match if you ask me. If I program only and then release the target - all is well. Equal behaviour.

Done a quick test with a 16F877A too. Everything works, including debuging. I really don't get it. Tried with all kind of oscillators checked the debug ports to be enabled, the lot. No success.

Damn.:|

I am beggining to think what my problem is. Before you dive into this problem, let me point out that my Junebug is not entirely built to the specs. I use different transistors and a 100u inductor. The inductor should be bigger, but I really do not have anything else lying around. The ferrite bead is also missing, but that probably is no biggy. Electrolytes are off by 50%+ for the smps and 10x lower for the pic, but this again should pose no threat to the application. And ofcourse, I use 4550 in Junebug, yes, pins rerouted.

Could you send or post your program what You want to debug, did You check fuses, wich error You see in MPLAB?, as Blueroomelectronics toll You, If you can program it mus debug.....I think the problem is in your software no in the harware...

Jose

OK, led blinky project. Just change the #include and add correct *.h and *.lkr files. Works for 18f458, 18F2455, but not for 18F4550. Try the last one.

Do not forget to configure the fuses! I do it in MPLAB, since I am new to the C18 compiler.

Here's a simple MPLAB 8.01 debug test for the Junebug or Inchworm and a 18F4550 target PIC with 20MHz. If you get 0x44 your crystal isn't running.
Code:
;*** Unicorn 18F4550 crystal test 
;    Requires Inchworm or Junebug debugger
;    Open a Watch window and "Add SFR / OSCCON"
;    Make sure MPLAB 8.01 is in Debug mode
;    Build All, Program, then Animate
;    OSCCON = 0x48 crystal OK
;    OSCCON = 0x44 crystal failed
	list	p=18F4550
	include <p18F4550.inc>
        CONFIG  FOSC = HSPLL_HS, WDT = OFF, LVP = OFF
        CONFIG  FCMEN = ON, IESO = ON, PBADEN = OFF 
        CONFIG  PLLDIV = 5, CPUDIV = OSC1_PLL2
        org     0
loop    nop
        bra     loop  
        END

Your file looks corrupt.......
But
I have tested a small program with the ICD2, and it works ok, with PIC18F4550, as programmer or as debugger,
I turns on / off leds on portb0 to portb3 and porta0 to porta3, if you run, You will see all time on, but when you make debugger (animate), You will see ON/OFF the LEDs
Crystal 20 MHz

list p=18F4550
include <p18F4550.inc>
CONFIG FOSC = HSPLL_HS, WDT = OFF, LVP = OFF
CONFIG FCMEN = ON, IESO = ON, PBADEN = OFF
CONFIG PLLDIV = 5, CPUDIV = OSC1_PLL2
org 0

movlw b'11110000'
movwf TRISB
movwf TRISA

Loop
movlw 0x0F
movwf PORTA
movwf PORTB
nop
nop
movlw 0x00
movwf PORTA
movwf PORTB
goto Loop

end

hi
that is not what i ment . can i programm the bootloader using lvp for making icd2 clone ??
the lvp pin is not used in the circuit diagram.

I would like to point out, that when setting fuses in MPLAB (say for a 4550 maybe?), that "Dedicated In-circuit Port (ICD/ICSP)" should be set to "Disabled" in order to enable debugging.

Both Junebug and PiCS ICD clone have been verified to work.

Jose should have seen my face. Anyway. I became suspisuous whn I read Jose's code and saw that he never opened the debug ports. But it worked. So I disabled them in my code and it worked.

Hi guys,

Can you help me please. My Power LED does not come on. I have VPP only at half the voltage it should be. I have already replaced the 34063 with no luck. I already used the ICD2 for a week and then it just stopped working. I can manually download the operating system.

Target VDD - 2.54V - Target not connected
Target VPP - 6.63V
MPLAB ICD2 VPP - 8.87V Both the VPP's fluctuate a lot.

It passes the self test, but sometimes fail with Module VPP - High.

As you can see I connect to the ICD but that is basically it.

I have a feeling the problem may have been caused by a short on the target board, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have clues what to look for and where to measure what to find my problem.

Regards

Nic

You must check the power suppply, or regulator voltage, and if you use USB power check for 5 volts in one pin of the USB Connector.
At lest you mus have 4.5 to 5 volts in the PIC microcontroller
Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back