Project ideas for Parallel Programming. Target area- signal, image process, FFT etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

delon

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am taking a parallel programming course with X10 language developed by IBM. We need to work on a parallel programming project
for the whole semester. I am brainstorming from the first day of the class to come up with a project proposal. I would appreciate if anyone share some project ideas with me.

My background is Electrical Engineering and we can choose project from ANY field. As I am not a CS guy, it'll be hard for me to select a
project on AI or the related core CS field. So, I am thinking about choosing a topic from digital signal or image processing related area. As
an example, I think, implementing FFT in parallel will be one tentative area.

Please help me with your expertise. Thanks in advance!

Hi delon,

Image processing frequently requires sequential processing ( decoding, enhancing, segmentation, classification ) and not parallel processing.
FFT also doens´t requires too much processing, regardless if at realtime.

So, at first sight, I could sugest you implement some distributed mainframe ( as done at Grid Computing ).

+++

Reactions: delon

delon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am trying my best to do explore various areas of parallel computation. Currently I am reading a paper on parallel implementation of travelling salesman problem. Do you have experience in this area ? I am familiar with the basic data structure and algorithms but didn't take any
advanced algorithm course. However TSP seems interesting to me. What do you suggest ?

delon,

I´m not familiar with X10 language. Actually, I neither know its features.
I just take some look at TSP in university (~15 years ago), at Neural Network course, but I remember it is also characterized by a sequential structure algorithm.
And also adviced you about Image Processing and FFT issues, due I´m a litle bit familiar and worked with.

If you are subjected to a parallel programming, it is derirable work in a project in wich the tasks distribution become an everall beneficit.

+++

Here are a few links to X10/HPC tutorials:

X10 Tutorial

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I believe if you register with X10 CodeHaus, they provide quite a few resources for X10 Developers.

Hope the info helps.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.