Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programmer - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakshman.ar

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I have a requirement where in, i have to program a custom made uC ( similar to 8051, which has 8 ports,i2c comm, ..etc ).

I have to program the controller by sending a hex file from "PC" to the "uC".

The problem that i am facing is that, i m relatively new and do not have much idea abt programmers. I have been working with the application board given by the standard companies like KEIL, ARM !

So now its required that i hv to program a specific controller. Please help me with this.

WBR,
Lakshman

Hi Lakshman,
I understand from your query that you need to burn the flash of the custom IC. In order to do this we first have to understand the flash programming of that IC. The datasheet would be able to give you a good idea of details about which instructions to use for programming / erasing the flash, the sector length, and flash architecture itself.
Then we need to write a simple boot code that can be loaded into the custom IC initially. This boot code will have to take care of receiving a hex file from PC through, say UART, and then program the flash accordingly with the data available.
Again in hex file, operations for dismantling might be required to be done at the microcontroller end. Instead you may choose to use a bin file.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.