Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmable device with display and buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

eseblese

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Programmable device

Hey,

Don't know if it's the right place for this but...
I'm looking for a device with a small screen and buttons like a simple cellular phone i can program.
I have no idea where to start looking for such device.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Re: Programmable device

eseblese said:
I'm looking for a device with a small screen and buttons like a simple cellular phone i can program.
Could you please elaborate regarding what you expect to program and whatz your exact need?

I want code some menus for the device and make it do some minor calculations.
i need it to have some numbers and letters because the users will have to enter some info oh and some directional buttons too so they can browse the menus.

Thanks

Hi
Your situation is very famous and widely used almost in every application. You need two modules for your requirments:
1- For calculations, you need ither microcontroller or DSP. But I think you don't need to make alot of calculations so you should use microcontroller. The major three companies for microcontrollers are "ATMEl, Freescale & MicroChip".

2 - For the display you need screen either " Graphical LCD" or "Dot Matrix LCD". Dot matrix LCDs are easier to use and they can display any character usig 5X8 Dots per charachter.

The question now what should you do? Simply, you need to buy a board containg a controller and an LCD. This is very easy to find but not so cheap. However, The board is very immportant and helpful to develop prototypes for alot of projects .

For example, see the following board and you can buy it from Digi-Key.com

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=DEMO9S08LL16&parentCode=S08LL&fpsp=1

Believe me, you'll like it!

Best Wishes,
Sameh Yassin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back