Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Program for ATmega 32-16pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
May i know what is the software used to program the ATmega 32-16pi Microcontroller?

Besides that, what is the advantage of using ATmega 32-16pi instead of PIC 16F877A?

Search the forum for AVR programmers, most of the time the software is programmer specific, also you can search at Google. Many programmers are out their to suit your need. Second question is debate, those ho are competent may throw light on this issue.

Last edited:
hi ...

for make programer see this ...
stk200-300-yazdkit-com-bi-300x294.gif

software ? do u mean compiler?
bascom ---> basic
codevision & winavr ---> C
avrstudio ---> assembly

For programming, you have the 3 suggested above, then you have mikroBASIC, mikroC, mikroPASCAL, IAR, etc.
For the software for programmer, there are plenty, but it should come with the programmer that you have.
ATMEGA32 is better than PIC 16F877A in some respects and worse in some. Doesn't matter. In the end they're both similar in performance. They're both very capable and what matters in the end is, if you can get the most out of the chips.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

AVR core has 1 instruction per clock cycle, which gives up to 16 (or 20, i don't remember) MIPS. PIC16 core doesn 1 instruction per 4 cycles which translates to throughoutput of up to 5 MIPS. I wouldn't call that similar in performance. Annoying thing about AVR is that you can brick the chip by setting wrong clock options, and you need kina complex parallell programmer to fix that.

Hardware interface is much, much simpler for AVR (STK 200 clone which is basically Printer port connector + few resistors + 74HC244 buffer). For pic it is much more complex and generally it's wiser (IMO) to buy ready made pickit 2 or 3 for about $40

AVR core has 1 instruction per clock cycle, which gives up to 16 (or 20, i don't remember) MIPS

16 MIPS is true .

Annoying thing about AVR is that you can brick the chip by setting wrong clock options, and you need kina complex parallell programmer to fix that.
It's not right !
If change the fuse bit on wrong state , u can fix it easy at most of times , without using another programmer ... !
By just give some oscillation on xtal pin of chip and retry ... !

Hardware interface is much, much simpler for AVR (STK 200 clone which is basically Printer port connector + few resistors + 74HC244 buffer). For pic it is much more complex and generally it's wiser (IMO) to buy ready made pickit 2 or 3 for about $40

Stk 200 is just some cable as same as the circuit on up . ( using that have some risk for the lpt port of sys ... , but i like and use it )
Stk 300 have some resistor and a buffer for resolve the risk ...

I saw a circuit for PIC that use the RS_232 ( 9-pin port ) and wasn't so complex ... just a zener diode and ...

Good luck

I saw a circuit for PIC that use the RS_232 ( 9-pin port ) and wasn't so complex ... just a zener diode and ...

True, but that has VERY limited use and is very dependant on RS-232 voltage in COM port. I've tried like 3 or 4 DIY dongles and ended up buying genuine PK2

AVR core has 1 instruction per clock cycle, which gives up to 16 (or 20, i don't remember) MIPS. PIC16 core doesn 1 instruction per 4 cycles which translates to throughoutput of up to 5 MIPS. I wouldn't call that similar in performance.

I know, but there's other ways PIC shines. In many, AVR shines. So, the end result is more or less similar performance. eg. Most PICs have faster ADC. However, the AVRs have internal ADC reference as well. The AVR comparator can be multiplexed to all analogue pins, the PIC comparators can not. However, the comparator module in PIC has multiple internal reference voltages, the AVR one has one or two. The AVR timers can be prescaled to a ratio of 1:1024 whereas the PIC ones can be prescaled to a ratio of 1:256 max. This makes AVR timers more versatile (if you get what I mean). The AVR has vectored interrupts, PIC doesn't and PIC 18 only has interrupt priority. AVR has 16-bit PWM, PIC has 10-bit PWM (in reality this is a "modified" 8-bit PWM). PIC has lower current consumption and better power saving modes. AVR usually has more PWM channels.

There are more differences in them. When I refer to AVR here, I mostly refer to ATMEGA (and also ATTINY), ie the 8-bit AVR. When I refer to PIC here, I mostly refer to PIC 16 and PIC 18 (also PIC 12).

The ATMEGA 48/88 etc work upto 20 MIPS, while ATMEGA8/16/32 work upto 16 MIPS.

By the way, I don't mean to start a flame war, I just pointed out some differences.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping.
That means both the AVR and PIC PIC 16F877A also have internal ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.