Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Profibus and Modbus integration with PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sathiya.ks@tekbridge.in

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am sathya from Bangalore. I am an Embedded engineer and I need help regarding the Profibus and Modbus.
I am new to these communication protocols and I did my ground work on these protocols and their layers. I should say I am pretty much confused now.

My question is very simple:
1) Whether these MODBUS and PROFIBUS protocols can be implemented in PIC (8/16/32 bit) controllers or not?
1.a) If it is feasible, then how? Do we need to use an additional transceiver chip other than the
RS485 transceiver or we can manage with the software stack and RS485 receiver :shock: ??

please help.... :|

Hi,

1. Regarding the Modbus Protocol, You can implement in any controller(8 /16/ 32 bit).
2. If you are implementing Modbus Protocol, RS-485 transceiver is enough to do the job. No need for additional transceivers.
Google with Modbus Protocol Pdf , you can get plenty of information about the implementation of Modbus.
It is easy to implement.

******** I am not familiar with Profibus. ********

Hi,

1. Regarding the Modbus Protocol, You can implement in any controller(8 /16/ 32 bit).
2. If you are implementing Modbus Protocol, RS-485 transceiver is enough to do the job. No need for additional transceivers.
Google with Modbus Protocol Pdf , you can get plenty of information about the implementation of Modbus.
It is easy to implement.

******** I am not familiar with Profibus. ********

Thanx prakashvenugopal for your reply...
It really helps, also I got a MODbus stack for PIC controller too :smile:...
now I am very much concern about the Profibus..:sad:
It seems to be difficult to implement...

A full featured PROFIBUS implementation requires a dedicated hardware interface, e.g. ASIC from profichip.com or an Anybus module. A higher performance PIC24 or PIC32 would be able for a software PROFIBUS implementation if you don't need to use highest baud rates, e.g. 12 Mbaud. But be warned, it's a rather complex thing.

I have done Modbus using PIC16, this is the Modbus code.
Profibus I'm not familiar yet. Maybe I want get info on this from other member.

I have done Modbus using PIC16, this is the Modbus code.
Profibus I'm not familiar yet. Maybe I want get info on this from other member.

Thank you soo much engshahrul for your support...

BTW, I think I am now some what clear on Profibus. These are the two methods I am planning to use:

1. Using an ASIC like, SPC3, VPC3+C, DPC31, SPC42, LSPM2 or SIM1 with a MICROPROCESSOR Unit and a s/w stack (didnot know the cost yet - heard it is expensive :sad:)
2. Using a Profibus Microprocessor like AM1810 from TI or somthing which is having the PROFIBUS LAYER-2 implemented in h/w with a s/w stack for the layer-7.

Edaboardians, Please guide me if any of you have implemented those above mentioned options or if there is any other method on implementing PROFIBUS... :-|

Thanx in advance..

Hi Sathiya,

Are you still working on the Profibus?

Regards
dk614nd

Thanks for the quick response,

I am right now working for a similar thing, i need to design and develope an PROFIBUS PA Slave interface, after preliminary R&D thru google, it feels like it may not be easy to implement using a Micro-controller and transceiver, so the implemenation i am looking right now is using a Link controller ASIC like the SPC4 from Siemens or UFC100 from Aniontek, with an MAU like SIM2-1 or the AMIS 4900, now my problem is where to buy the stack for these ASICs, till now i got only 1 vendor ie. softing , but there support is not all that great for India.

So did you use any these asics for your implementation? if yes where did you buy the stack from, also feel free to share any other info on the above topic.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.