Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR] Problem with lcd contrast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohsen6265

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
the characters are almost invisible. i tried connecting pin 3 of the LCD to ground directly but it wouldnt work and ive tried using pot but its still not working can any body help?
i need to add that when the pin 3 is connected to ground i get the max contrast which is still invisible.

Hi,

How can we help? We even don´t know which LCD you refer to.

And if we have the information, then we need to read the datasheet to tell you what is written in there.
Best is if you read the datasheet by your own.
Then if there any doubts you should give detailed informations about LCD manufacturer, LCD exact type, Document section you refer to...

Klaus

You might have a LCD expecting a negative polarisation voltage, e.g. 3.3V type.

Corrupted link (shortened with ...)

It seems to be a 5V display. Did you manage to power the backlight? Otherwise the contrast would be pretty poor, I presume...

I don't see a datasheet for ts1620a-20 under your link. I also notice that the device is offered by different manufacturers, ts1620 seems to be a kind of collective term.

I believe the question has been answered as far as we can. It's obviously a 5V device, expected to work with typically up to 5V polarisation voltage (measured between Vdd and V0). I found a typical polarisation voltage of 5V mentioned in a ts1620-1 datasheet, means the wiper would be typically near the GND pot end.

Did you check the actual polarisation voltage with a meter? According to maximum ratings, V0 can be supplied with a negative voltage (up to 11V below VDD), if the contrast can be improved with a polarisation voltage above 5V, you have probably got a device with rather marginal specification. Or it's simply defective.

thx for the help buddy u have been helpfull.
i figured out the problem and u were right, my regulater had problem and the out put voltage was lower than what it was supposed to be now that i connected the power source directly to the micro its working fine.
thx again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.