Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with large currents flows that produce heat in H bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdelron

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
h-bridge problems

This is the circuit I used to drive my 6V DC motor and +V mentioned above is 6V.
I control this circuit using 16f84a PIC MCU .

H_bridge.jpg

The problem I found here is when applying 5V to A and 0V to B . Then it works .
But the problem is a large current flows through 1 and produces heat because A is 5V and +V is 6V hence 1 is turned on .

How can I get rid of this problem ?. I want to introduce a voltage drop there .
How can I get it done ?

6volt h bridge circuit

If the 6V source is regulated you can just add a diode in series with the base of the PNP transistors to achieve an additional drop of 0.7V (the arrows in the schematic are wrong). If not you´ll need a more complex circuit. Furthermore, you NEED to add limmiting resistors in series with ALL transistor´s bases (when you apply 0V to B you´re applying 6V to the junction of transistor 3).Can´t figure out how is it working. Also, a snubber circuit is welcome.

h-bridge

sry for the images
H_bridge_1.jpg

will it be sufficient adding single diode per base of a pnp ?

6v h bridge

No, need to limit the current at each base. Add a resistor in series with everyone.

h-bridge not working

can you please Mr.paul suggest me an improved circuit to get this thing done ?

Here I use PIC16f877a to switch the bases on and off

hbridges problems

You are applying 1V directly across the B-E junction of the transistor which is forcing it to sink high current. Try putting a resistor in line with each of the transistor base pins to limit the base current to a safe level. The transistors will still saturate so the motor current will not be reduced.

Brian.

Re: H bridge problem related to driving a 6V DC motor

There are lots of ready ICs to do the job. They´re cheaper than your discrete circuit and more error proof. If you insist in doing it based on discretes I would like to suggest using the circuit shown here https://www.4qdtec.com/h.html BUT you´ll have to invert all the voltage polarities and to invert all the transistors types and diodes to have controll using a 0-5V input signal.

H bridge problem

i think you need to tie the base of transistors 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 together not like you are connecting, beside connect a current limit resistor on each transistor base.

Re: H bridge problem

h.gif

In my circuitry will it be sufficient adding PNP power transistors and NPN drivers and changing the polarities like this .

h1.gif

but here I am gonna use +6V to drive my 6V DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back