Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with controlling Sigma-Delta ADC..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buriedcode

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
adc dac jitter

Hi, I've posted here before and people were very helpful, and knowlegable :D .

First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it is to do with digital interface.

Basically, I've created a wireless digital audio system, using PLD's, I haven't started the wireless part yet, just wanted to see if I could effectively convert audio to the digital domain and back again first.

I don't want to go into to much detail, but I suppose you do need to know the system if you are to help me identify the problem :)

basic overview:
TX: analogue buffer -> ADC -> CPLD -> output.
Rx: input -> CPLD -> DAC -> analogue buffer.

In both the TX and RX the CPLD and the ADC/DAC are run off of the same clock, a 12.288Mhz clock oscillator module with low jitter, connected DIRECTLY to both without a buffer (the CPLD has a built in clock buffer).

Now. I'm convinced that there is nothing wrong with my program in controlling the ADC/DAC, and the analogue part has been thoroughly tested, and is fine. So this isn't a VHDL question :eek:

When the system starts, if the RX is on, but it doesn't receive a signal from the TX, then the RX is designed NOT to start the DAC (ie, not only does it not write data to it, it doesn't even power it up). And as long as the RX receives a signal, in a specific format which is unique to the TX (format being, start/stop bits being in the write place and the right time) the CPLD in the RX starts writing data to the DAC.

Now, it does work, in the fact that when both units are on and connected, the CPLD in the RX controls the DAC nicely, checked with a high-speed oscilloscope. But.... :( ....the output audio from the DAC in the RX is just really loud periodic noise. SHSH....SHSHS....SHSH with a period of about 0.8seconds. Now, one simple test I did was to ground the DATA pin on the DAC, this means that the only thing written to the DAC is all 0's. The DAC is a 2's compliment device so this equates to about -V, but its not changing so the output should be completely silent, and it IS.

Basically, my question is about interfaces.
Should I use a clock buffer before the ADC?
Are Sigma-delta ADC's very sensitive to clock jitter, clock shape, rise time?
Are these clock oscillator modules any good for this application (model number CMAC IQXO-350-12.288)
And finally, has anyone had experience with using the CS5330A and the CS4330A from cirrus logic?

I'm sorry if this is a bit pointless and long, but any advice and previous experiences regarding any of the subjects covered will be very welcome.

Thankyou for your time.

BuriedCode :roll:

sigma delta adc clock jitter

Hi,
Im facing a similar issue.
I am using wm9713 audio codec in my project. Audio is transferred to Bluetooth module(BTM) using PCM link. The PCM link operates at a freq of 8KHz sampling rate.

PCM data to BTM is directly transferred from a sigma delta ADC.

At ADC sampling freq of 8KHz, I hear a noise like "rrrrrrrrrr" in the background of audio in Bluetooth Headset.

1)I dont know what type of audio noise it is?
2) Is it a jitter audio? because both codec and BTM operate at different clock domains.
3)Can I get a sample audio of jitter noise to identify it?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back