Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with calculation of the smooting capacitor rms current of a diode rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

pite91

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I'm working on the PSpice-based examples, on the example 1 : "1-Phase Diode Bridge Rectifier".

I have a problem with question 4, which asks to calculate Icap (the rms current though the filter capacitor) as a ratio of the average load current Iload.

For me it is impossible to calculate this as a simple ratio, because the capacitor ripple current is more difficult than this (must take into account the diode conduction time, the frequency, the capacitor value, ...) and I saw some formulas on the web, and they are all complicated !

Does anyone see what does they mean by "calculate Icap (the rms current though the filter capacitor) as a ratio of the average load current Iload" ? Is this determined by varying the resistive load and measure the capacitor RMS current and the average load current, and after determine the ratio by linearizing ? or is it a real calculation with a formula ?

Thank you very much for your help, I post the example with the schematics.

Attachments

• Example 1.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 104

The problem specification is clearly referring to a SPICE fourier anaylsis performed before teh calculations, in so far I don't understand your problem.

All currents and voltages, including the deferred values like Irms are results of a nonlinear transient analysis and not "calculated" or obtained by a formula.

thanks for answer FvM,

but how do you obtain this ratio if it is not by a calculation ?

Yes, the ratio is a simple calculation. The problem is to determine the RMS current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back