Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problem with 78M12 and supplying Gate Driver IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ata90

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I implemented circuit in which 78M12 package is DPAK and can deliver up to 0.5A. After implementation, I encountered that 78M12 regulator get too hot. anybody know why and what is solution?

Last edited:

Well, it dissipates 16W per Amp whch means it will get hot even at quite low current. Presumably you have it mounted or soldered down to a heat sink to keep it cool.
You should also have a capacitor across its input and ground pins to ensure stability, especially if the wiring to the power source is longer than a few cm.

Brian.

My friend you have big dissipation on 78M12 regulator, you should read datasheet.

Measure real temp, use bigger copper area on PCB as heatsink.

therefore, for using 78M12, we always should use copper aria as heat-sink? actually I used copper aria, but because of limitation, it is around 4x4 mm2.
I presumed that maybe it is because of some problems with my design!

78M12 is SMD package, it should be soldered to surface, best is copper surface on PCB.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.