Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Probablility density function (randon) variable (Help!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angolaX

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been trying to solve this question for the past 2 day without no success.. I wonder if you guys can help me out...

question) Let x be the transmitted signal and Y the received signal the condition density of Y given X is as follows:

f (y/x) = k exp(- |y-x| /2)
where, k is constant, -inf < y < +inf , and X is uniformily distribuited on [0, 1].

1) Find k ?
2) Find f(y)?

I find k to be 1/4 but I am no longer sure of the value, fffffffffffffffff

Re: Probablility density function (randon) variable (Help!!!

Your problem comes from a simple model y=x+z, where z has a probability density function with the form

f(z)=kexp(-|z|/2)

and the underlying assumption is that x and z are two independent random variables, you will get the resulting probability density function for y as you stated.

With above discussion, it is straight forward to show

(1) k=1/2, based on the fact that integral of f(z) has to be unity in order for it to be a valid probability density function. Expression for f(z) follows immediately.

(2) since y=x+z, and x & z are independent, you can use the well-known result f(y)=f(x) * f(z), where * denotes the convolution operator, to find the expression for f(y).

Extra: (a) the term z is often called Laplacian noise. It is a noise model often used to model the interference term in UWB system.

Hope that helps!
PPF

angolaX said:
I have been trying to solve this question for the past 2 day without no success.. I wonder if you guys can help me out...

question) Let x be the transmitted signal and Y the received signal the condition density of Y given X is as follows:

f (y/x) = k exp(- |y-x| /2)
where, k is constant, -inf < y < +inf , and X is uniformily distribuited on [0, 1].

1) Find k ?
2) Find f(y)?

I find k to be 1/4 but I am no longer sure of the value, fffffffffffffffff

Status
Not open for further replies.