Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pre-requisites to learn VisualDSP and SHARC Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbla

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
visualdsp++ first steps

What are the Pre-requisites to learn VisualDSP and SHARC Processors?
I have audio applications in mind.
Should the purchase of EZ-LITE board be the first step? Kindly guide me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

bimbla.

calling asm function visualdsp

The purchase of EZ-KIT lite board would certainly be a first good step to evaluate the VisualDSP++ development environment tool and as another step to test the capabilities of the targeted DSP. The EZ-KIT evaluation board that I was familiar with was for the Analog Devices ADSP-2191 DSP.

In summary the evaluation board contained:
-Analog Devices ADSP-2191 DSP;
-USB Debugging Interface;
-Analog Devices AD1885 48kHz AC97 Coded (line-in or Mic-in and line-out stereo jack);
-AD1803 Modem Codec (RJ11 connector and RX-TX LEDs);
-Flash Memory (512K x 8);
-Interface connectors (JTAG, SPORT0 and SPORT1);
-GPIO (pushbuttons and 4 LED outputs);
-ADP3338 & ADP3339 Votage Regulators;

The VisualDSP++ license that was provided with this kit limited the use of program memory to 8K words.

Hope this helps,
regards

learn visualdsp

Hi,
I feel before you buy, have a clear understanding of atleast two projects you want to complete. This shall help you in easy decision and also on the peripherals you may need.
Hope this helps,
B R M

bimbla said:
What are the Pre-requisites to learn VisualDSP and SHARC Processors?
I have audio applications in mind.
Should the purchase of EZ-LITE board be the first step? Kindly guide me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

bimbla.

You said audio applications? Then SHARC is the battle horse to ride!!!! First of everything: have in mind a pool of projects to work on, and have a clear understanding of their requeriments.

My recommendations in order of importance are:

- ADDS-21262S-EZLITE (third generation, SIMD SHARC)
- ADDS-21161N-EZLITE (second generation, SIMD SHARC. Includes SDRAM)
- ADDS-21065L-EZLITE (first generation, SISD SHARC. Includes SDRAM)

Regards,

www.sanjaac.com

I think that to buy a kit is a good idea. Try to understand examples which you will receive with software. And learn assembler. I write asm function and call them from main().

What is the reqd prog. language background?
With this I will begin my journey in DSP!

bimbla.

C is a good starting point. However, it is not excuse for learning the architecture of the DSP.

Assembler is a REAL plus. BTW, SHARCs' assembler language is very pleasant to use. Very algebraic. Call it low-level C, if you want!

JaaC

You have very good compilers now a days, that even if you code in C, the result compiled code will look pretty good and compact. But I do agree that programming in assembly is a plus to go for DSPs.

s2c97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back