Status
Not open for further replies.

Kral

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone give me a practical application of the geometric-harmonic mean?
Thanks,
Kral

Re: Geometric-Harmonic Mean

hi,
check the link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_mean
Harmonic mean can be used in programs that calculate or estimate the speed of a missile or two trains, where in some decision has to be made by knowing the average speed of the object

for applications of geometric mean check
https://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/questionCorner/geomean.html

Dont know much abt "Geometric-Harmonic Mean". But there is something called "Geometric-Harmonic Modulation (GHM), where it might find application.

cinch

cinch,
Thanks for your reply. I'm already familiar with the harmonic mean and the geometric mean and their applications. It is the harmonic-geometric mean that i'm interested in. I know the definition, and how it is calculated, but I don't know where the harmonic-geometric mean is applied.
Regards,
Kral

One of the application can be determination of the total effect from many separate noise sources applied to the device of interest.

Kral

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks for the reply, RF-OM. Do you have any links to articles on this application? Incidentally, I'm also interested in the aritmetic-geometric mean. I forgot to mention this in my original post.
Regards,
Kral

Added after 2 minutes:

Oops! I meant arithmetic-geometric mean.

Unfortunately I have no links to papers or books. When you asked about it I just recall that it used sometimes for noise evaluation. I use it a few times in my work, this is really rear occasion. I prepared my own worksheet for this work and used it when necessary, but because it is very rear I even do not remember where this tool now. I think that geometric-harmonic mean may be used when there is a number of uncorrelated powers and it is necessary to evaluate their effect on the system. It may be noise, intermodulation and other non-linear effects, multiple unwanted RF signals (ambient RF noise), may be signals from Universe and so on. But this is only my guess, I cannot be 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…