Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powering keyboard without computer ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does a k/b need to initialized or something when its plugged in? This is what I have...

+5V Power (**broken link removed**)

----> +5V connected to PIN4 / GRND connected to PIN3 of male PS2 (https://www.networktechinc.com/ps2-prots.html) connector... then PS2 hardware key logger connected (https://www.keelog.com/diy.html) ... then keyboard.... but pressing any buttons doesnt work... how do i know its getting power and actually turning on? Shouldt it work in theory....?

Im trying to make the keylogger store data without a computer... so that i can retrieve it later... almost like a notepad... cept im walking around with a keyboard and no computer a batter at the end and a keylogger between the battery and the keyboard...

Anyways... if someone could shed some light on how I can provide power to the keyboard and the logger WITHOUT having a computer.. would be great...

Thanks!

Usually PS/2 keyboards do not require any initialization ..
On power on (5V) the NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock LEDs should blink twice and keyboard is ready ..
When you press a button it should output clock pulses on the CLOCK pin and relevant data on the DATA pin ..
That's it ..

One stupid question: this logger is based on the 89C2051 microcontroller .. Have you programmed it?

Regards,
IanP

PS/2 keyboard and older PC/XT keyboards requires initialization after power on. See the last para of **broken link removed**

Summary: Bus States
Data = high, Clock = high: Idle state.
Data = high, Clock = low: Communication Inhibited.
Data = low, Clock = high: Host Request-to-Send

I need to get it to IDLE STATE... if you go here **broken link removed** and scroll down it shows a diagram... i just cant figure out how to do this... any help appreciated.. plz!

"Figure 1: General open-collector interface. Data and Clock are read on the microcontroller's pins A and B, respectively. Both lines are normally held at +5V, but can be pulled to ground by asserting logic "1" on C and D. As a result, Data equals D, inverted, and Clock equals C, inverted."

nikhilele said:
Source code for Reading an AT-PC Keyboard
h**p://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=57

that looks kewl... thanks... now how do I build a device to make use of this ? :)

Hardware configuration is one the same site there is a link in the starting of code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back